General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sun 10-Apr-16 12:39:38
Print Post

Switch to Pluse8 Line rental but keep PlusNet's FTTC ?

[link to this post]

I'm having PlusNet FTTC umlimited broadband (76/20 Mbit/s) on a BT Landline, which is relatively expensive when added with even basic BT phone Call-Plan. In fact I'm paying to BT about £110 (incl VAT) quarterly just for normal National's Landline phone calls!!
Currently I'm happy with Plusnet's FTTC broadband but consider switching to Pluse8's for my Landline instead of BT line (i.e Pluse8's Landline Rental is £13.00 + VAT??) while keeping the SAME phone number. Could I do that and how do I go about that in Steps? Alternatively just remind me the "Link/s" if it had been asked before.

Many thanks

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC

Edited by OCdragon (Sun 10-Apr-16 13:43:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Apr-16 14:44:49
Print Post

Re: Switch to Pluse8 Line rental but keep PlusNet's FTTC ?

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

£13 including Vat.

You are thinking of doing exactly what I did do.

Initially I just switched my line from BT Retail to Pulse8, then set about thinking whether to stay with PN for my FTTC, move that also to Pulse8, or possibly go for AAISP Home::1 (76/20, 100GB). In the end I plumped for AAISP, though have not ruled out moving back to Plusnet. My reason for leaving them was concern over the new support systems and the never-ending problems some people were having with speeds. That was before anything was known about their upgrading of their backhaul which I think is still in progress.

There was no problem at all - I simply filled in the online form, then the couple of editable PDFs that came back re the order confirmation details and T & Cs etc. All very efficient and smooth. No problem with keeping my number, as it remains on WLR3 with just a different message on 1571. If I moved the FTTC to them then I believe it would become LLU'ed.

Note that the £13 includes basic 1571 but does not include caller display. I opted for that so am paying £14pm.

I also contacted Plusnet re not closing my account completely when I left, but moving me to an email-only one. That allowed me to keep receiving referral payments from them. Only relevant if you do receive referral credits at the moment, or use their email system, which I don't.

(Edit - you have Pluse8 in the subject and contents. It's Pulse8, or more precisely Pulse8broadband).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 10-Apr-16 14:46:14)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Apr-16 14:56:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by OCdragon:
In fact I'm paying to BT about £110 (incl VAT) quarterly just for normal National's Landline phone calls!!

If you make a lot of phone calls, do you have the anytime call package? BT line rental plus anytime calls should be about £78 per quarter, the only caveat that mobile calls aren't included.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Apr-16 15:18:11
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Unless the OP has been caught out by them starting to charge for caller display and 1571.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Apr-16 15:25:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Unless the OP has been caught out by them starting to charge for caller display and 1571.

Could be, in which case subscribing to Free BT Privacy with Caller Display and obtaining a real answerphone is another option.

Oliver.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 15:39:59
Print Post

Maybe they don't have the unlimited plan or make a lot of calls to mobiles or overseas countries, or even a lot of calls longer than 60mins
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Apr-16 21:19:09
Print Post

Yes, you can do this. It's exactly what I did last November. Doesn't really save much money though. About one pound a month I think. Only thing I did lose was SMS on my landline as Pulse8 don't support it. Wasn't a huge loss but I did occasionally use it as my landline phone supports it.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 10-Apr-16 21:20:55)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 21:58:57
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Well i had the BT unlimited anytime calling plan with free caller display and line rental saver and based on a lower rate any time calling plan i am saving around £10+ per month, depending on how many calls or how long i spend making calls , otherwise its £14 per month as opposed to £24+ per month
As for the free 200 sms ( If mobile located in uk only) i can't say that i really miss it, some months i didn't even use it BT Retail are a rip off

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 10-Apr-16 22:06:43)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Apr-16 22:08:22
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
As for the free 200 sms ( If mobile located in uk only) i can't say that i really miss it, some months i didn't even use it BT Retail are a rip off
The SMS I was referring to wasn't related to my mobile. It's a service that BT provide on all their landlines called BT Text. There are no charges and no limits although that wasn't why I used it. I used it because the mobile signal in my house can be dodgy to the point where I can't even send text.

These days I have a signal booster so it doesn't matter as much but there are still times when it would be more convenient to send a text using my landline.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9043/...

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 10-Apr-16 22:09:02)

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Mon 11-Apr-16 12:33:16
Print Post

Oliver, thank you for replying!

I thought BT's Anytime/Evening & Weekends Calling Plans INCLUSIVE numbers would cover only their numbers beginning with --- 01, 02, 03, 0845 & 0870 plus Local numbers. Unfortunately for me though, apart from using these numbers I'm also using 0844 or 0871 special access numbers for, say, cheap landlines or mobile numbers access, for which I have to pay for including about 17P Setup Charge per call. I'm not sure HOW MUCH Pulse8 would be charging for these PAID numbers, but their £13/month Landline Rental including VAT sounds attractive though!

P.S: BT's Landline Rental for non D.D/Saver Plans are currently £19.99

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to