General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mickycub
(newbie) Sat 16-Apr-16 02:07:39
Print Post

Fibre Broadband + Phone Line from 2 separate providers?

[link to this post]

Hi all

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but is it possible to get Fibre Broadband from say Plusnet, but keep my current phone line provider?

I live in a rural area in Northern Ireland and up until this week we've never been able to get traditional broadband (adsl or fibre). BT have put a new cabinet just down the road and tell me we can now get superfast fibre broadband. But my family has alot of extended family in the Republic of Ireland and our current phone provider is with an Irish company called Gaelic Telecom. I think (but not entirely sure), that Gaelic Telecom rent the line from BT. We would love to keep our phone with them as the monthly rate and rates for calling the Republic Of Ireland are very cheap compared to the likes of BT/Plusnet/Sky etc.

Sorry for the long winded post. Would really appreciate any info you guys could provide.

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 16-Apr-16 07:43:31
Print Post

Re: Fibre Broadband + Phone Line from 2 separate providers?

[re: mickycub] [link to this post]

Yes you can
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Apr-16 09:18:25
Print Post

Yes, but some providers will not let you. Plusnet, for example, does, but you pay an extra £2.50/month on the broadband for the privilege. I don't think BT Infinity allows it, or if it does they don't advertise the fact.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync 66999/19999 at approx 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sat 16-Apr-16 09:21:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Apr-16 09:21:50
Print Post

As BatBoy says.

Of the big ISPs though, only Plusnet. They charge £2.50pm more than the advertised figure, plus on most if not all of their packages there will be an installation charge that they absorb if you take their line rental. It's all fairly clear on their website if you click the Broadband only button. It will still say line required but that's obvious, and doesn't mean theirs. None of their introductory offers will apply - they are all for broadband plus line.

Smaller decent ISPs well known on these forums that allow it are Aquiss, uno and vivaciti. Their prices tend to be a bit higher but you may not need "unlimited" at first. It depends if you want to jump straight into catchup TV, films and YouTube etc.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 16-Apr-16 09:32:14
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I don't think BT Infinity allows it, or if it does they don't advertise the fact.
BT will allow you to do this. You have to phone them and order their Solus product.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 16-Apr-16 10:37:28
Print Post

Use one provider for line and broadband, but use VOIP to make phone calls. A Gigaset N300IP would allow you to route outgoing calls via VOIP but receive incoming calls via you phone line.

Michael Chare
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Apr-16 10:47:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Strange how Pulse8 allow SMPF ADSL2+ but if you want fibre you have to take it as a phone/fibre package

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 16-Apr-16 10:47:45)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Apr-16 09:59:25
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Presumably because of the pricing structure charged by TalkTalk Business Wholesale. TT don't like selling SMPF broadband FTTC but are happy to sell pure phone.

Just like BT Retail if you think about it smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 17-Apr-16 11:16:21)

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Apr-16 10:24:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There are providers out there that offer TT SMPF. Pulse8 are one (i have phone with BT, broadband with TT/P8) and Uno also offer broadband only TT. Yet for some reason when it comes to fibre its hard to find a TT SMPF supplier
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Apr-16 11:15:05
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Sorry, yes - I was referring to FTTC, as that is the OP question. Are any of your examples FTTC?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to