General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Sat 16-Apr-16 10:10:36
Print Post

2nd Line Question

[link to this post]

I've pondered with the idea of having a 2nd line put in for additional broadband. I currently have two cables coming from the pole to my house - but one is an old unreliable cable.

If I ordered a second line installation* would Openreach automatically use the other cable - even if I reported it as suspect.

*I had a second line installed about 20 years ago for work, but ceased it once broadband was available - A few years ago my main line was playing up (internet drop outs in the rain) so Openreach switched the incoming pair to the newer 'ceased' cable.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Apr-16 14:46:32
Print Post

Re: 2nd Line Question

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

When OR came to install my line a couple of years ago there was already two cables from the pole to my house. They couldn't get either of the existing wires to work, so they installed a third cable!

I should have got them to take the duff cables down as now I want to redo the guttering etc. and they are in the way.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Plusnet via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Apr-16 08:15:26
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

When they come to install the second line, tell the installer, in passing, the history as you have mentioned here. That should be enough info to warn them off using it. It may be that there is a clean second pair in the existing span that serves your current line, depends on the age of the existing span.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kebabselector
(member) Sun 17-Apr-16 21:30:38
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks guys smile

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'
  Print Thread

Jump to