General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bonnyjars
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-16 13:25:16
Print Post

how does WIFI

[link to this post]

I have just been told by my ISP who provides me with a 100Mbs that I will never see that becasue the wifi router will step down what an individual wifi receiver can see by dividing the 100 by the number of logged on receivers. Surely this is untrue
Now, I could believe that if they were all competing flat out but what I actually have at this moment is a basic kindle not in use; a TV not in use, a laptop connected but asleep and a desktop (this) being used only for a web-browser = Speedtest under this set up shows d/l 18-21 MBs on this desktop--

Comments very much appreciated - especially if it is necessary to teach me some fundamentals of physics

JohnB
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 20-Apr-16 13:39:44
Print Post

Re: how does WIFI

[re: bonnyjars] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bonnyjars:
I have just been told by my ISP who provides me with a 100Mbs that I will never see that becasue the wifi router will step down what an individual wifi receiver can see by dividing the 100 by the number of logged on receivers. Surely this is untrue
Now, I could believe that if they were all competing flat out but what I actually have at this moment is a basic kindle not in use; a TV not in use, a laptop connected but asleep and a desktop (this) being used only for a web-browser = Speedtest under this set up shows d/l 18-21 MBs on this desktop--

Comments very much appreciated - especially if it is necessary to teach me some fundamentals of physics

JohnB

Rubbish ... it will spread the available bandwidth between devices that are actually using the connection for traffic at any particular point in time.

As you have already commented your desktop PC is already seeing speeds of 140-170 Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-Apr-16 14:11:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Which unless he is on VM200 or FTTP is surprising.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Apr-16 14:17:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Possibly a call centre agent is just trying to warn that connecting using an Ethernet cable will often get the best results.

i.e. Wi-Fi is a very variable beast, just their explanation is suspect.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Wed 20-Apr-16 14:25:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I suspect the OP has mixed up MB and Mb.

I think they're saying they're only getting 18-21mbps which would kind of back up what the agent has said and the OP is wanting this debunked?

OP, what service do you have and what speedtest did you use?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Apr-16 14:29:42
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
I think they're saying they're only getting 18-21mbps which would kind of back up what the agent has said and the OP is wanting this debunked?

And earlier in the post they stated the ISP is providing a 100 Mbps product, so 21 MBps is not possible.

Oliver.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Apr-16 14:53:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Wi-Fi is a very variable beast, just their explanation is suspect.

Agreed.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Apr-16 16:01:01
Print Post

And what router and what network card. If the network card is connecting on 802.11g then it will never get more than about 21Mb/s anyway. Or if the PC is a little distance away then it will connect at a lower wifi rate.
Standard User bonnyjars
(newbie) Thu 21-Apr-16 21:49:26
Print Post

I pay for 100Mps from Virginmedia and when I connect to the router via cable I can see 100 and in fact even more according to speedtest.net. - it is inconvenient to connect by cable but I have temporarily moved both the lap-top and desktop and connected them by cable and can see the 100 cable connection speeds

When (as normal practice) the machines are connected via wifi to the router I can see around 22-24 on speedtest and 16-32 on thinkbroadband and that when only 1 machine is in use.

The initial "solution" from virginmedia was that my wifi hardware in the machines was limited and out-of-date so for both machines I purchased 300mps access - a USB for the laptop - and yes, I have disabled the internal driver so it is only using the USB. For the desktop I purchased a 300 card and replaced the existing card. In fact these hardware changes made no difference whatever to what speeds I was seeing

The really annoying thing is that when I was paying for 40 Mps I was seeing very nearly 38 on both machines even when I tested them both at the same time - I am paying for more and getting less - even with hardware upgrades -- virgin upgraded the router at that change from 40 to 100

FYI:
Laptop is a Dell Vostro running Win 7 Pro - 32 bit
Desktop is HP Pro 4300 half-height running Win 10 Pro - 32 bit
(32 bit because I have a lot of legacy software - and it makes hard-disk go much further)

Thank-you, bonnyjars
Standard User bonnyjars
(newbie) Thu 21-Apr-16 21:51:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nice to see that my physics isn't completely out of date
thanks, bonnyjars
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to