General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User djblamire
(member) Mon 25-Apr-16 14:37:02
Print Post

Moving from BT (Contract Ends 1st June) to Sky ??

[link to this post]

I'm currently in contract with BT until 1st June 2016 but would like to move to another provider in order to get a better deal.

I believe the process for changing providers has changed since I moved last year so wanted to check the process.

Can I sign up now to my new provider, and will the changeover occur automatically after my contract end date, or do I need to stipulate somehow that I don't want to leave early and incur any early cancellation charges ? (As I need to give 30 days notice).

I'm currently on FTTC with BT, but looking at moving to Sky ADSL (Great deal). Will it cause any delays, or issues that I am moving from FTTC to ADSL ? - Will an engineer visit be required ?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
Standard User lee111s
(committed) Mon 25-Apr-16 14:49:28
Print Post

Re: Moving from BT (Contract Ends 1st June) to Sky ??

[re: djblamire] [link to this post]

I don't believe you do need to give 30 days notice.

When you speak to Sky you should be able to specify the day you want them to take over service.

As an aside, I would suggest contacting the retentions team in BT if you're otherwise happy with the service, they may well be able to offer you a deal worth staying for.

Moving from FTTC to Sky will need engineering work in the cabinet and the exchange but they won't need to visit your home.
Standard User djblamire
(member) Mon 25-Apr-16 14:51:32
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.

I thought all ISP's require a minimum of 30 days notice prior to the official contract end date ?

I doubt BT would be able to do anything like the current Sky deal (but I will give them a try). The Sky deal for me works out at under £6.00 per month including line rental (but only ADSL).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Apr-16 14:52:02
Print Post

If you sign up now the new ISP will place the order and you will switch provider in 2 to 3 weeks time, thus breaking the contract with BT, i.e. incurring penalty charges.

Totally safe way is the wait until the 12 months is up and then move after that.

No engineer visit to your home will be needed to downgrade from FTTC to ADSL2+, but its a fairly rare move so more likely to have things go a little odd.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Apr-16 14:59:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by djblamire:
I thought all ISP's require a minimum of 30 days notice prior to the official contract end date ?

No. In fact contacting the losing ISP is actively discouraged since it can lead to complications if the ISP agent triggers a cease by mistake. The winning ISP does all the work, and the losing ISP is informed automatically by the process.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Apr-16 15:02:16
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

The losing ISP should send you a letter (or email if you agreed that method was the contact method when signing up) giving you warning that a migration has been started on the line, and 10 days to reply to cancel it i.e. to avoid slamming.

This letter should also detail any outstanding payments or other conditions.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User djblamire
(member) Mon 25-Apr-16 15:13:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I've just spoken to BT and they inform me if the transfer completes before the 1st June, there will be a £65.00 charge in addition to the charges payable up to the end of the contract. I will therefore have to make sure the new provider transfers from 1st June onwards.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Apr-16 15:56:10
Print Post

And the only absolute way is to order after the 1st, should be safe ordering 10 days before then, but I would not trust any provider to take an order now and sit on it until that time.

i.e. if this is a time limited offer from Sky then you need to get them to hold the offer until you can commit to moving.

Standard User djblamire
(member) Mon 25-Apr-16 15:57:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The thing with Sky is there is always an 'offer', just no guarantee whether the next offer will be better or worse than the current one.

Thanks
Daniel
  Print Thread

Jump to