General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User asmanew
(newbie) Tue 26-Apr-16 02:13:14
Print Post

help deciding which internet+Tv+phone line to get installed

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,

Ive just moved to the UK and im in Windsor - I need to setup :

1) a brand new internet connection (broadband vs fibre? my area doesnt have Virgin apparantly, just 2 users, for web browsing , netflix and youtubing without buffering please)
2 ) a new TV connection ( Sky i guess, because all new connections get a free 32 inch TV or a 100£ voucher...but which one? I want to be able to access sky movies and sky box sets on demand, on my tablet...but otherwise basic channels are fine)
3 ) a phone line . hardly make any calls - just need incoming really

So i dont want to spend too much. also, id be happier with a single
provider for all three but thats not essential. My letting agent had passed on my details to Hometelcom and they r getting on my nerves by insisting they have the best unlimited broadband and phone for 28£/m

Please help me decide!!

Asma
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 26-Apr-16 08:22:38
Print Post

Re: help deciding which internet+Tv+phone line to get instal

[re: asmanew] [link to this post]

Do not touch Hometelecom, they are rubbish.

If you put your address in here, it should give some idea of what's available to you http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 26-Apr-16 08:24:01)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Apr-16 08:56:55
Print Post

If your looking to get Sky TV at your new home, then it would work out cheaper getting them to install the new phone line and provide broadband at the same time, the package price will be better value taking activation etc

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-Apr-16 09:35:17
Print Post

What does this checker say, using the address option? Don't use the pure postcode one.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Apr-16 09:54:20
Print Post

Don't use Hometelcom, the letting agent is getting some kind of commission...

The big options in the UK are BT, TalkTalk, Sky, Virginmedia, Plusnet.

All of them are relatively similar in terms of packages offered and speeds.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-16 00:24:06
Print Post

New to the UK? Do you know about how TV services work here?

Broadly, there are plenty of free-to-air services, including the biggest channels in the UK - BBC and ITV - available through terrestrial antenna. You only need to pay for subscription TV if you really want to.

If you watch any live TV, either FTA or subscription, then you need to pay for a TV licence. This money is used to fund the BBC specifically, but you need to have the licence even if you never watch a BBC channel.

If you only want Sky Movie content and Sky box sets, then you might be best to use Sky's NowTV service - which is their online service. It can be viewed on tablets, or a specific NowTV settop box. It can be cast onto TV via Chromecast. The ability to stop the service at any point is useful too.

I think your first decision is whether you really want a full Sky subscription, or if the online option is enough. If you want a full subscription, then going for a triple-play bundle is likely best.

If online, the next step is finding out what is available to you, as a previous post requested.

In competition with Sky's TV offering, you may want to consider BT's alternative, or TalkTalk's.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Apr-16 07:21:16
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Just to expand on your NowTV description it also includes live and catch up access to some of Sky's channels such as Sky 1, Sky Atlantic, Discovery, Disney Channel, Sky Arts, Sky Living, MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon and Fox. Plus the app is available on a number of Smart TVs, games consoles and smart DVD/Blu-Ray players so there are loads of options on how to access it.

And if you want a bit of a discount on NowTV Currys sell passes that work out cheaper than standard monthly rates (entertainment passes work out at £5 a month compared to £6.99 a month direct through NowTV). For Movies I tend to find if I cancel the movies at the end of a discount period then NowTV offer another and I think I am currently paying £3.99 per month for all the movies content including live streaming of the Sky Movies channels. You can get Sports through NowTV but unless you are a very sporadic viewer it looks incredibly expensive.

For a lot of people NowTV would probably be a very good and much cheaper alternative to full fat Sky - I had Sky for about 15 years and currently have BT TV to get channels like SyFy and use NowTV to watch anything not available through BT - I have pretty much everything I had before for less money.
  Print Thread

Jump to