General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 01-May-16 01:15:06
Print Post

Don't ya just lurv Microsoft?

[link to this post]

Link.

I think the statistics at the end show what we all think of Bing.

Does anyone use Cortana anyway, except perhaps on a Microsoft phone?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 07:28:58
Print Post

Re: Don't ya just lurv Microsoft?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cortana is now the default search engine for Windows 10 in the task bar - so a lot of people may now be using it without even knowing (or to be honest caring).
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-16 10:10:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Why would anyone use MS spyware & data harvesting /sharing services , better still why would anyone who values their privacy upgrade to win 10 ? Nothing wrong with other versions of windows that where designed for non touch screens

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 03-May-16 10:11:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 03-May-16 12:17:46
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Cortana is now the default search engine for Windows 10 in the task bar - so a lot of people may now be using it without even knowing (or to be honest caring).

I presume you are talking about the search box on the task bar next to the Microsoft symbol. While I have given Cortana the boot I hadn't appreciated that searches using that box used Bing. It has made me investigate using another search engine for that box, say Google, but I can't find the configuration screen to make that change. Does anyone know how to do that task if indeed it is possible.
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 12:22:57
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
...While I have given Cortana the boot I hadn't appreciated that searches using that box used Bing. It has made me investigate using another search engine for that box, say Google, but I can't find the configuration screen to make that change. Does anyone know how to do that task if indeed it is possible.
Looks as if it was
but is no longer

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 12:47:12
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

The news article in the original post was saying MS were stopping you being able to use alternatives...
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-May-16 12:52:27
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Why would anyone use MS spyware & data harvesting /sharing services , better still why would anyone who values their privacy upgrade to win 10 ? Nothing wrong with other versions of windows that where designed for non touch screens

Because most people will just hit the upgrade button because Windows told them to. The majority of people have no knowledge of what MS is doing behind the scenes - nor do they know what Google does behind the scenes when they use Google Search/Gmail/Maps/etc. Most users just use their computers and don't give it a second thought.

And even being in IT I have upgraded a couple of machines - mainly because MS collecting what it does has no real bearing on my life - they can do what they like with it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 03-May-16 13:58:38
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Do you have a smartphone Tommy?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Al1264
(member) Tue 03-May-16 14:17:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Does anyone use Cortana anyway... ?

My Grandad used to drive one (having upgraded from an Anglia) tongue [/coat]
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-16 16:19:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Do you have a smartphone Tommy?
Nope, i have a basic cheap mobile phone that makes and receives calls i also do not have a contract I have better things to do than become umbilicaled up to a mobile phone
Like those you see almost daily who wander around oblivious to their surroundings and any hazards
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to