General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Sun 01-May-16 08:20:49
Print Post

Re-using Existing NTE5

[link to this post]

Wondering what the likelyhood of persuading an openreach engineer to re-use an existing NTE is even though when they come to install the new line it will technically still have active service on it.

Really don't want a 3rd phone socket on the wall and although both the existing NTE's have active service at the moment one of the existing lines will be ceased soon.

Essentially due to a problem migrating between TT resellers/wholesalers it was easier to get a new line installed and cease the old one than move the existing one.

I'm hoping the Openreach engineer will be accommodating just worried they won't want to do it as technically speaking they'd be breaking the existing line and of course if a fault was reported it could come back to bite (I wouldn't do such a thing of course)

Pulse8 80/20 FTTC & Sky 40/10 FTTC

Edited by dragon2611 (Sun 01-May-16 08:25:28)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 01-May-16 08:24:20
Print Post

Re: Re-using Existing NTE5

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

NIL.

He/she will have been given a task to install a new service and tat is what they will do. Every operational lone should be correctly terminated and that is how they will leave it. They have not been asked (or OR paid) to move an existing services they will not swap them over either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User troublegum
(regular) Sun 01-May-16 13:14:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
NIL.

He/she will have been given a task to install a new service and tat is what they will do. Every operational lone should be correctly terminated and that is how they will leave it. They have not been asked (or OR paid) to move an existing services they will not swap them over either.

I would disagree and say there is a good chance. Engineers are always going to take the easy option, especially if they are going to have to run additional wiring, terminate it on a pole, etc.

If the customer says to reuse the existing line as its going to be ceased soon, then it's what they are going to do.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 01-May-16 17:37:57
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

reuse the existing line

Even less chance of that....just reusing the NTE5 would be a botch job let alone the drop wire or anything further into the OR network.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-May-16 18:53:07
Print Post

Technically they should not.

This does not mean they do not always...

I ordered a new line, when they arrived they realised the line came in from underground and there was only 1 pair available (in use on an existing service). I informed them I would be ceasing that line soon, so he just connected it up to my new ISP. It saved BT running a brand new cable underground.

I did not cease that line for a further 8 weeks (when contract ended).

I would just view it as a bonus if they agree to do it but do not expect it

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 01-May-16 18:53:37)

Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Sun 01-May-16 19:13:06
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

if they do insist on a new NTE i'll ask them if they can leave it loose rather than screwing it to the wall, they seem to do it all the time in comms rooms/cabs on business lines.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-May-16 19:16:46
Print Post

They're a bit iffy about it, given the connections inside are rather fragile. Can't see them enforcing that it is screwed on the wall, they are likely to just recommend it.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 01-May-16 19:28:17
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

And leave a live line unterminated ... That is not good practice and could easily generate fault report. This OP may be honest however, an unscrupulous may be trying it on and could then complain that the OR Tech has made a bodge job! Would an OR tech risk a reprimand?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Sun 01-May-16 19:34:02
Print Post

An unscrupulous could just tamper with the line and say that anyway,...

Sigh one would think transferring between 2 ISP's that use TT's backhaul/network would be a simple database/software change.. .But nope it is not to be.

The transfer processes when LLU is involved still seems a bit rough, Plusnet to Sky didn't go as smoothly as it should have done either (was supposed to be done remotely, needed an engineer visit in the end, also the engineer at the time seemed unaware it was a migration)

Edited by dragon2611 (Sun 01-May-16 19:36:40)

Standard User troublegum
(regular) Sun 01-May-16 20:49:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
And leave a live line unterminated ... That is not good practice and could easily generate fault report. This OP may be honest however, an unscrupulous may be trying it on and could then complain that the OR Tech has made a bodge job! Would an OR tech risk a reprimand?

Engineers are given short task times and are under pressure. If there's an existing line that the customer says is going to be ceased soon, 9 times out of 10 they're going to simply rejumper it at the exchange or cabinet rather than the alternative of potentially having to erect a new dropwire, install internal wiring, etc.

They would put in the job closure notes it was done with the customer's consent and that should cover it.

(The 1 time out of 10 when they might install another NTE would be when there is a spare pair in the internal wiring and dropwire/UG feed and the distribution point doesn't need a ladder to reach, such as a hollow pole or easily accessible underground joint).

Edited by troublegum (Sun 01-May-16 20:53:32)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to