General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ardbeg67
(newbie) Mon 02-May-16 20:43:40
Print Post

Quiet line test noise

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been having ongoing issues with my ADSL line - I suspect it's due to an old/corroded/insecure drop wire to my house but the most recent Openreach engineer said he couldn't hear any noise on the quiet line test and the line checked out ok. To me the quiet line test still sounds noisy but I'd appreciate a second opinion from someone who knows more about this than I do - I've linked to a couple of recordings I've made.

1st test ~ a month ago

Today's test

Thanks.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-May-16 12:08:31
Print Post

Re: Quiet line test noise

[re: Ardbeg67] [link to this post]

I could hear a tapping noise on the first test that sounded a bit like a HR type of noise although I could not hear much on todays test.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Ardbeg67
(newbie) Wed 04-May-16 10:00:18
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Just realised I've got the files swapped around - the one with the tapping noise is the most recent test. What's HR noise?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-May-16 10:07:28
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

An HR fault doesn't give 'a tapping noise'.

Hiss, and/or crackle and sometimes modem tones when as the router syncs up, but not a tapping noise.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Wed 04-May-16 19:02:40
Print Post

It's not HR noise. If you are out of town, could be electric fence interference.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-May-16 19:37:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ardbeg67:
Just realised I've got the files swapped around - the one with the tapping noise is the most recent test. What's HR noise?
This is a >> HR Fault << that we still get every now and then, but conveniently when BT do the checks they go frown

You can even hear the HomeHub syncing up at 1 min in shocked

Paul
Standard User Ardbeg67
(newbie) Sun 08-May-16 11:06:25
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks guys, sounds like I do indeed need to get this investigated further. I've been trying (unsucessfully) to get this resolved by Plusnet, my current ISP, but despite 5 months of fault tickets, repeated engineer visits etc it's just as bad now as when I moved in. Plusnet's customer service is appalling, can't believe they advertise this as one of their 'good' points!!!

Anyway it's only a few days til I switch the broadband to A&A, I'm hoping they'll live up to their reputation and get this sorted for me
  Print Thread

Jump to