General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 04-May-16 11:47:59
Print Post

BT Home Hub with Draytek Router

[link to this post]

Is it possible to "convert" a BT Home Hub into a modem and then link it into a Draytek's 2830 WAN port? FTTC service in use.

If the task is possible, any configuration advice welcomed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-May-16 12:28:06
Print Post

Re: BT Home Hub with Draytek Router

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Not aware of a proper PPPoE bridge mode, just the old fashioned less than ideal DMZ tricks.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 04-May-16 12:50:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Not aware of a proper PPPoE bridge mode, just the old fashioned less than ideal DMZ tricks.

A most welcome response, thank you. Will use a second hand BT modem instead of the HH. Please remind me of the fundamental settings that should be entered into the Draytek router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-May-16 12:54:50
Print Post

PPPoE authentication with the BT username and password

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User noinchki
(member) Wed 04-May-16 17:08:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If you are connecting a router the username is bthomehub@btinternet.com (it can actually be anything you want prior to @btinternet.com) you do not need a password unless your router asks for one in which case you can make it anything you want.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 05-May-16 08:03:56
Print Post

[re: noinchki] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by noinchki:
If you are connecting a router the username is bthomehub@btinternet.com (it can actually be anything you want prior to @btinternet.com) you do not need a password unless your router asks for one in which case you can make it anything you want.

Nope. A business service has a userid and password.

Returning to my original query, my attention has been drawn to these URLs:
http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_...

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_...

This begs the question: Are there two versions of the HH, a business and home, and if so I guess they would be identified which type by a label on the device.

Just for the record I do have an earlier setup with BT FTTC using a Draytek 2830 but in that case a BT Modem is being used. The Draytek router stores the users credentials.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Thu 05-May-16 08:14:20
Print Post

There are 2 different type of BT hub 5's the A and B.

There is also a BT hub 5 (A) with business firmware, this can be used in modem mode (just a tick box in the firmware)

Just for further clarification there are also home (and maybe business) hub 4's 3's .........

I was going to reply to your first post but you did specifically say "BT home hub" not BT business hub 5.

Ian
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 08:18:09
Print Post

TBF to Noinchki you do not mention that you are attempting to connect to a BT Business broadband service. His post is correct for BT Broadband users.
This begs the question: Are there two versions of the HH, a business and home, and if so I guess they would be identified which type by a label on the device.

Yes there are two versions, and yes to the label identifying it also.

Usually when connected the business routers will connect with a default login then will go get their user specific details shortly after ....... But I suspect this isn't any help to your question either.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-May-16 08:19:20
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Just for further clarification there are also home (and maybe business) hub 4's 3's .........

Yep.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 05-May-16 08:29:04
Print Post

Apologies for not making myself crystal clear in this thread. No excuses for that and now wiping the egg of my face.

I simply was not aware of the variations for this bit of kit and am now a lot wiser!
  Print Thread

Jump to