General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mootster
(newbie) Sat 07-May-16 14:24:56
Print Post

Can't switch back to ADSL. Fiber slower

[link to this post]

Hi, I live in a rural area and on ADSL was getting about 3mb broadband. I was sold a fiber package by Sky for £17 a month and switched over 3 days ago but the speed is an abysmal 0.8mb download and upload 0.8mb. I called Sky who sent an engineer out today who's equipment could not even pick up a connection it's so bad. I asked Sky to go back to ADSL and they said it was not possible. I have been advised to write to ofcom and my MP.
I would like to switch back to ADSL- will this be possible? Any advice much appreciated I'm gutted. Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-May-16 14:54:13
Print Post

Re: Can't switch back to ADSL. Fiber slower

[re: mootster] [link to this post]

It is possible and is Sky being bad.

What speed estimate did Sky give you for the VDSL2?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mootster
(newbie) Sat 07-May-16 15:07:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi the speeds adviced were a min of 2.5 to 8mbps. Any suggestions as to how to get the line switched back to ads or for the fibre to be increased. The engineer immediately said we are too far away to get it but open reach website says we can get it as do all the suppliers.
0.79mbps download, 0.86 Mbps upload and ping of 48 are our most recent speed test results obviously on the fibre line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-May-16 15:12:17
Print Post

If fibre involves less copper cables how is it possible to get slower speeds than adsl?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 07-May-16 15:16:03
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

The speed depends on the distance from the cabinet
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-May-16 15:18:29
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

VDSL2 performs differently over distance compared to ADSL

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-May-16 15:20:25
Print Post

Okay there should ideally be caveats since when the estimates are that low the chance of it being wrong is much higher.

As for switching back - Sky just need to cancel the VDSL2 and fall back to their ADSL2+ service. Entirely possible and if they refuse its get refunds and go elsewhere.

On the estimate - the suggestion is that you are 1.5km to 2km from the street cabinet supplying the VDSL2 service.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 07-May-16 15:21:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by mootster:
I asked Sky to go back to ADSL and they said it was not possible. I have been advised to write to ofcom and my MP.
That sounds like Mr. Unhelpful on the Sky helpdesk - he told me to contact Ofcom and my MP too.

What does http://192.168.0.1/sky_system.html say for your connection speed?

The logon details are admin/sky
Standard User mootster
(newbie) Sat 07-May-16 15:35:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 818 kbps 585 kbps
Line Attenuation 61.1 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.8 dB 6.6 dB
Poll Interval:
Standard User mootster
(newbie) Sat 07-May-16 15:40:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi we are 2.1miles from the exchange.
The guy kept saying that they weren't allowed to put it back. Then when I asked for a proper explanation he repeat what tech had told him that they couldn't put it back as they wouldn't be able to get fast enough speeds. I repeated that I had 3.5mbps on ADSL and don't understand there explanation. I am waiting for the escalated tech team to calms back between 4 &5pm. I have tried to take out a different contract with other service providers today and no rod them will offer me an ADSL connections and keep telling me that when it is changed you can't go back. Plusnet told me it was a recent government policy as they have to meet targets to get the country on super fast broadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to