General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sat 14-May-16 11:03:04
Print Post

New Modem/Router (VDSL)

[link to this post]

Good Morning,

If this isn't the best place to post, please let me know.

I have 2 questions regarding a new VDSL Router/Modem for my soon to be install FTTC connection.

1: I am looking at TP Link (based on general comments and reviews) and have posted a few times about different models. Is there any real justification in paying £100 + on a Modem/Router if one can be purchased for - £50? Here are 2 examples: TP Link N300 and TP Link VR1900

2: I have a NAS drive that I usually stream music from, if I get either modem and plug it in, can I still stream the music across the "network" before I get internet?

If anyone has any additional suggestions for VDSL modem/routers I am all ears. smile

Thanks in advance

CJT.

Awaiting new FTTC Install
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-May-16 22:14:19
Print Post

Re: New Modem/Router (VDSL)

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Normally the main difference between the various routers is the wifi maximum speed, but in the 2 models you've mentioned there is a difference in the LAN ports (100Mbps vs gigabit ports)

Either way, the router should be fine supporting your NAS streaming until you're connected.

Do you get a router with your new connection? The cheaper option you mentioned is worse than you get with BT, and probably similar to a sky router.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-May-16 01:14:24
Print Post

If your ISP provides one try that first before buying one.

If you do want to buy one make sure that it has passed Openreach's MCT labs.

BT 'SIN 498' is the specification defining BT's VDSL2 service requirements. In Openreach's testing programme (MCT - Modem Conformance Test), devices undergo extensive testing to check if they meet the standard and comply with all of BT's requirements to connect to their network.

There is a risk that if you buy a modem which hasn't passed MCT then it won't work in future - even if it does at the moment - if Openreach change something on their network (and there have been some examples of this already)

I like ZyXel modems - the VMG1312 can be had for around £50. I am not sure if the T-link or Asus modems have passed the MCT tests.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Boogit
(newbie) Sun 15-May-16 09:18:45
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gt94sss2:
If your ISP provides one try that first before buying one.

If you do want to buy one make sure that it has passed Openreach's MCT labs.

BT 'SIN 498' is the specification defining BT's VDSL2 service requirements. In Openreach's testing programme (MCT - Modem Conformance Test), devices undergo extensive testing to check if they meet the standard and comply with all of BT's requirements to connect to their network.

There is a risk that if you buy a modem which hasn't passed MCT then it won't work in future - even if it does at the moment - if Openreach change something on their network (and there have been some examples of this already)

I like ZyXel modems - the VMG1312 can be had for around £50. I am not sure if the T-link or Asus modems have passed the MCT tests.

Funny that I just switched to a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A as that was one that was compatible with Open Reach and got a stonking deal from the new ISP for it for 73.99 nearly half the price on Amazon and I know Zen charge 150 for it :| First time I have had a Zyxel and well impressed with it so far

Edited by Boogit (Sun 15-May-16 09:19:14)

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 15-May-16 12:05:12
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

good morning Kr1s69

Thanks for the reply.

No the ISP does not supply one,

I have purchased (naively) a TP-Link VR900 from a local supplier, but the cost and experience has left such a sour taste in my mouth I am getting a refund!

I may now look at other suggestions made on here, and maybe get the "cheap" TP-Link to tide me over and as a backup should another modem/router fail

smile

CJT.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 15-May-16 12:09:24
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Good Morning gt94sss2

I knew I had head the ZyXel name before but couldn't remember where..

Now having searched for them it hit me, the ADSL filters they made!

They look like a good alternative, I will have a proper look later

smile

CJT.

Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-May-16 13:21:33
Print Post

[re: Boogit] [link to this post]

I have the VMG8924-B10A as well - and also find it quite impressive (including the WiFi)

You must have got it from Uno Comms (Unocomm is an Italian company!)?
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 20-May-16 13:46:40
Print Post

Quick update.

My managed install came with an OpenReach VDSL ECI modem, so I am going to return the AC1900 (as it's over kill for my needs) and buy the cheaper N300.

The money I get back can then be saved to be invested in a different router in the future.

smile

CJT.

On Aquiss 80/20 - Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to