General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User edwinbradford
(learned) Mon 16-May-16 18:41:15
Print Post

ADSL Logs are empty

[link to this post]

My ADSL logs are empty and my Router overview table tells me I'm disconnected from the internet but I can connect and surf the web. Here are the logs. As you can see every field is empty apart from the Update Counter. Rebooting the router makes no difference.

I've been experiencing dropped connections for a few weeks now. Plusnet found an error on my line which they say they adjusted and the stability has improved. However what's going on with my logs and why does my Router show it's disconnected when I can surf.

Router make and model is Asus DSL N12U B1.

Update Counter : 240789
Modulation :
Annex Mode : Annex
Line State :
Lan Tx :
Lan Rx :
ADSL Tx :
ADSL Rx :
CRC Down :
CRC Up :
FEC Down :
FEC Up :
HEC Down :
HEC Up :
SNR Up :
SNR Down :
Line Attenuation Up :
Line Attenuation Down :
Data Rate Up :
Data Rate Down :
(learned) Mon 16-May-16 19:23:03
Print Post

Re: ADSL Logs are empty

[re: edwinbradford] [link to this post]

I just plugged the router into the master socket and the stats are populated with data. Looks like there's an internal issue with the wiring in this apartment (rented) or rebooting the router resolved it on this occasion.

Update Counter : 54
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 1384
Lan Rx : 812
ADSL Tx : 522
ADSL Rx : 496
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 0
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 0
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 11.0
SNR Down : 9.4
Line Attenuation Up : 10.2
Line Attenuation Down : 16.0
Data Rate Up : 828
Data Rate Down : 15349

Edited by edwinbradford (Mon 16-May-16 19:24:40)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 16-May-16 20:29:42
Print Post

I would suggest the reboot cured it. If there was a wiring problem you would not have been able to connect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Mon 16-May-16 21:32:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks but I'm doubtful. After finding out the router was fine in the master socket I tried plugging my telephone into each of my two extension sockets to see what dial tone I got. Both times my router was immediately disconnected. I unplugged the phone and each time the Router reconnected a minute later. Feels like it's the wiring at the moment unless someone has a better suggestion.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-May-16 21:47:49
Print Post

Did you plug the phone directly into the extension sockets, or through a dangly filter?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-May-16 22:15:28
Print Post

Sounds like your two extension sockets are not filtered.

You might already know all this, but I will go through it anyway just in case.

If you have a NTE5 Master socket, remove the Phone and DSL faceplates by removing the first lot of two screws and carefully remove the phone faceplate and then the dsl faceplate, you really need to be careful with the phone faceplate so not to pull any wires off.

You should end up with a back faceplate held on with a further two screws with a phone socket located the bottom right (this is the test socket), leave that back faceplate on due to your not allowed to go beyond that.

Now at this point your phone extensions should be dead, go and check.

Are they both dead?

Now connect a dangly DSL filter in the NTE5 test socket and just plug your modem/router in it and switch it on.

Does it connect up?

Then try plugging in a phone into the other socket on the dangly DSL filter.

Does it drop connection?

If it does then something is wrong some place.

Paul
(regular) Mon 16-May-16 22:46:43
Print Post

Hey everyone thanks for all the feedback. I plugged the phone directly into the extension sockets. The dangly filter--microfilter--is plugged into the master socket so I can connect the router.

I haven't removed the faceplate on the master socket because the Router connected without issue. I'll do that as a next step and report back. It's a bit late at night now so it'll have to be later this week.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-May-16 23:48:22
Print Post

It will clearly surprise you to know that almost everything that is connected to the phone line, either at the master or an extension, has to go through a filter.

There is only one exception. The modem or modem/router itself. But conventionally it does.

Do you have a Sky box connected to the phone line?

You also need to do the check suggested a couple of posts ago - to carefully remove the faceplate if your master is an NTE5, and then see if a phone gets a dial tone at any extension in the house. Whether that extension is ever used or not. (You don't need to use a filter at extensions while the NTE5A faceplate is not in place and the modem or modem/router is not connected to the line).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 16-May-16 23:51:25)

(regular) Tue 17-May-16 09:17:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Okay I did it this morning before work.

There's no Sky Box or third party equipment connected. However in case it's relevant this apartment has four extension sockets. The previous occupant was on another network because I remember I had to get it switched back to BT when I moved in. I believe they were with Sky or Talk Talk. I have only ever had a ring tone from two of the four extension sockets and I've been under the impression two are connected to BT and two to the old disconnected supplier. I don't know if that's true or relevant.

Are they both dead?

Yes all extensions are dead.

Now connect a dangly DSL filter in the NTE5 test socket and just plug your modem/router in it and switch it on.

Does it connect up?

Yes it connects

Does it drop connection?

No it doesn't drop connection.

After doing this I reconnected the face plate on the master socket and then my dangly microfilter and router. The router worked fine. I then plugged my phone into each of the extension sockets. The two extension sockets with no ring tone had no effect on the connection. The two extension sockets with a ringtone immedieately caused the router to lose connection and there was hiss and crackle on the line and I could hear the modem connecting like a fax sound.

Is it faulty wiring in the apartment as I suspect?
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-May-16 10:26:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by edwinbradford:
Okay I did it this morning before work.

There's no Sky Box or third party equipment connected. However in case it's relevant this apartment has four extension sockets. The previous occupant was on another network because I remember I had to get it switched back to BT when I moved in. I believe they were with Sky or Talk Talk. I have only ever had a ring tone from two of the four extension sockets and I've been under the impression two are connected to BT and two to the old disconnected supplier. I don't know if that's true or relevant.

Are they both dead?

Yes all extensions are dead.

Ok, this means the extesions that you checked are not directly wired to your line.
Which is good.

Does it connect up?

Yes it connects

This is good so far.

Does it drop connection?

No it doesn't drop connection.

Still good.

After doing this I reconnected the face plate on the master socket and then my dangly microfilter and router. The router worked fine. I then plugged my phone into each of the extension sockets. The two extension sockets with no ring tone had no effect on the connection. The two extension sockets with a ringtone immedieately caused the router to lose connection and there was hiss and crackle on the line and I could hear the modem connecting like a fax sound.

When you say "I reconnected the face plate on the master socket" how many faceplates do you have, there should be 2 faceplates not including the backplate.

Is it faulty wiring in the apartment as I suspect?

I am thinking you have only the Phone Faceplate and are missing the xDSL Filter Faceplate on the Master Socket.

You should have all 3 of >> these << connected.

If this is the case then you will have to either buy a XDSL Filter faceplate (they are cheap) or connect dangly DSL filters to all of your extensions that have stuff connected to.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to