General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(member) Fri 20-May-16 09:33:23
Print Post

BT broadband unreliability

[link to this post]

Since moving from Zen to BT last autumn, we've had no end of problems - router would appear to be blue but no connection and a re-start needed on most days. But, our download speeds were marginally faster than with Zen (3.5 v 2.5, wow...) so this was tolerated.

On Saturday, the connection just died, with a flashing orange light and occasional flashing broadband light in red. No amount of reboots would get us connected and after three separate calls to the call centre with all the shenanigans involved, an engineer visited on Wednesday, tested the socket and line and concluded that it was a router problem and replaced the Hub 4.

The connection was constant for less than 24 hours before needing a reboot which then worked for an hour before the flashing orange light returned again.

So this morning I call again and after nearly an hour or tests, the technician thinks it is a faceplate issue as the router started working once the faceplate was off and the Hub plugged into the wall directly. When asked how I'd go about getting a new faceplate I was advised to get someone local to do it or do it myself instead of getting an engineer out...

Anyway, I'm not convinced it is a faceplate issue as the faceplate had been off sine the original fault was identified and the Hub couldn't connect and it was tested by the engineer less than 48hours ago.

Any pointers?

Regards,

Rob
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-May-16 07:36:06
Print Post

Re: BT broadband unreliability

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

Is there any extension wiring connected to the faceplate? If not, then it is extremely unlikely that the faceplate is the issue.

Get them to send another engineer.

My guess, duff exchange equipment, you may need a lift and shift.

Standard User fiddler
(member) Sun 22-May-16 17:45:08
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Nope, just the expected wires, nothing else.

Regards,

Rob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-May-16 17:49:24
Print Post

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

?
I'm not being awkward, but if there aren't any extensions connected to the faceplate, then what are "just the expected wires"? It could be relevant.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-May-16 20:33:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The OP might be referring to the main line coming from the BT80 to the master socket.

Paul
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 22-May-16 21:22:28
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The OP may be expecting more wires than there should be.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
  Print Thread

Jump to