General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Sun 22-May-16 13:08:08
Print Post

Fibre Cabling

[link to this post]

This type of duct was recently installed to serve a small hamlet in Sussex, see photo:
http://postimg.org/image/6ndkgcpyh/
Can anyone point me to a site that describes the various fibre cables that BT uses and, if not, any information on this one and the 6 - 8mm(?) overhead stuff would be welcome. As for instance, what is the maximum number of fibres per cable, bandwidth, how many million simultaneous HDTV programmes can our 18 house hamlet view or phonecalls make (OK, that last not serious!) & so on?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-May-16 13:36:43
Print Post

Re: Fibre Cabling

[re: sandcastle] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sandcastle:
As for instance, what is the maximum number of fibres per cable, bandwidth, how many million simultaneous HDTV programmes can our 18 house hamlet view or phonecalls make (OK, that last not serious!) & so on?
It would depend on how many million immigrants you allowed in to watch the programmes,

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-May-16 14:57:20
Print Post

In theory 18 homes could be served by one single fibre with a single splitter and GPON, so you would be sharing 2.5 Gbps of capacity over the fibre, with the bottle being much worse in the ISP network and general Internet.

Each of those mini tubes can carry a bundle of fibres so capacity in the access network is not likely to be a major issue. http://blog.thinkbroadband.com has some items not the kit that Openreach is deploying and some more pictures should appear this week

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-May-16 16:38:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Very useful. :-[[
Keep your xenophobic nonsense for the park.... Reported.

Got a function?
We've got it covered!

Edited by Deadbeat (Sun 22-May-16 17:25:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-May-16 17:46:15
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

What does the chain of symbols represent?

As for your comment, that is something in your mind. Not in mine.

It is indeed a humorous reference to the immigration debate, and what the Eurintors and Brexiteers are both saying, with neither being anywhere near truthful or honest.

I suggest you lighten up, and have the chuckle intended by the post. As a response to a question about millions of simultaneous downloads I consider it reasonable. How do you suggest these millions of streams will occur?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Sun 22-May-16 20:33:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Much obliged.

A few more questions if you can bear it:

What is the diameter of an optical fibre including all coatings?

How many fibres can be included/blown in small diameter overhead cable (6-8mm? Unfortunately it is out of reach so have not measured it)?

Our hamlet has three of its poles with a manifold and PCP on each. Will OR split one fibre or take a separate fibre to each?

Does OR usually include any redundant/dark fibre in this sort of location?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-May-16 22:15:21
Print Post

How many fibres can be included/blown in small diameter overhead cable (6-8mm? Unfortunately it is out of reach so have not measured it)?

What is the diameter of an optical fibre including all coatings?

In the above scenario around 3mm

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-May-16 22:18:30
Print Post

Everyone always puts in spare fibres.

The manifold will serve 8 to 12 premises, with a fibre splitter serving a number of manifolds prior to that i.e. this is a GPON roll-out rather than point to point fibre.

Dark fibre is only possible when a point to point fibre scenario, so if looking to do 100 Gbps from one premise to another using a low cost rental from Openreach then not possible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-May-16 22:28:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The manifold will serve 8 to 12 premises, with a fibre splitter serving a number of manifolds prior to that

The manifold, (always twelve ports on those I have worked on) provides BFT back to the DP node and from there fibres back to the splitter.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-May-16 22:35:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

What's BFT please? The nearest I can find is BeamForming Techniques.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to