General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mic8393
(newbie) Sun 22-May-16 17:57:42
Print Post

HomeHub 3 to HomeHub 5 'Upgrade'

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

After a few years of using the Home Hub 3 I decided to buy a second hand Home Hub 5 off eBay to see if it would increase my wifi speeds etc.

Speed testing before hand on my Home Hub 3 with an ADSL max connection I was receiving on average 9Mbps down (more than my line should handle anyway).

I switched everything off, plugged in the Home Hub 5 and cannot seem to get anything more than 0.3Mbps down/0.93Mbps up using both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies. I have left it connected for the past couple days but nothing has changed, have tried a reboot/restore to factory settings etc but nothing. Ping still over 700ms too.

Reconnecting the Home Hub 3 up I am immediately back to 9Mbps download speeds.

Has anyone ever had this problem before or know what's going on?
Is it possible that the second hand HH5 I bought off eBay is a dud?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-May-16 18:16:29
Print Post

Re: HomeHub 3 to HomeHub 5 'Upgrade'

[re: Mic8393] [link to this post]

Sounds dud to me. You're lucky it hasn't messed up your line.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-May-16 18:16:29
Print Post

ADSL Max is an up to 8 Mbps (speed test maximum 7.15 Mbps) so if on just ADSL then something was odd in the beginning.

HH5 may be a dude, what are the connection speeds reported by both devices rather than speed test results?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mic8393
(newbie) Sun 22-May-16 18:34:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Sounds dud to me. You're lucky it hasn't messed up your line.

Jeez. The guy listed it saying less than 4 months use and working perfectly..

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
ADSL Max is an up to 8 Mbps (speed test maximum 7.15 Mbps) so if on just ADSL then something was odd in the beginning.

HH5 may be a dude, what are the connection speeds reported by both devices rather than speed test results?

Okay maybe I am mistaken about the connection type it is ADSL.
On the Home Hub Manager at the moment (HH3) downstream is 14.18Mbps up is 1.1Mbps. If I recall correctly checking on the HH5 it gave it as some 15000kbps (15Mbps)?

Edited by Mic8393 (Sun 22-May-16 18:36:29)

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Sun 22-May-16 18:47:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

HH5 may be a dude,
I guess that might be auto correction again wink

I would recommend splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks - ie give them different names, and try again
Standard User Mic8393
(newbie) Sun 22-May-16 19:16:41
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
I would recommend splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks - ie give them different names, and try again

I tried this but gave the same results. I also tried using the HH3 cables in the HH5 but also gave the same results.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-May-16 19:56:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mic8393:

Okay maybe I am mistaken about the connection type it is ADSL.
On the Home Hub Manager at the moment (HH3) downstream is 14.18Mbps up is 1.1Mbps. If I recall correctly checking on the HH5 it gave it as some 15000kbps (15Mbps)?
That is ADSL2+, not ADSL (Max).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Mic8393
(newbie) Sun 22-May-16 20:00:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That is ADSL2+, not ADSL (Max).

Thanks for clearing that up smile
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 22-May-16 20:08:12
Print Post

Try a factory reset, that is a pin in the little hole in the back for 20 seconds and the light will turn green.

If you have made any settings, you can back them up first and restore them later.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User arendall667
(regular) Sun 22-May-16 20:11:39
Print Post

Did you try a speed test using an Ethernet (wired) connection to the new hub to see if the problem is with low sync speeds or poor wireless reception?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to