General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User philippercival
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-May-16 19:46:44
Print Post

Vodafone ?

[link to this post]

As I have my mobile with Vodafone they have offered me broadband and home phone at what looks like a good price.

The guy was a little vague on the speeds I would get, however I would guess that they would be about the same as I get now.

Has anyone ever used them?

Is their router any good?

They claim to offer fixed IP for free - anyone tried it?

Thanks in anticipation for any answers

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 24-May-16 20:05:14
Print Post

Re: Vodafone ?

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

ADSL or VDSL?

With VDSL speeds should not change and the copper cable will remain exactly the same.

ADSL may require re-provisioning in the exchange meaning a different card, cable route and length - they could affect sync speed and actual speed slightly. And it could be increased or decreased.

And check that the price quoted includes line rental ... often "conveniently forgotten" when cheap prices are quoted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-May-16 20:27:24
Print Post

They have a good reputation for their broadband service however couple of major drawbacks:

1) You are forced to use their router and whilst its not the worst, its certainly not brilliant.

2) AFAIK they don't offer a static ip address, only dynamic.

I'm waiting for them to launch their business FTTC packages (by end of 2016) and provided they don't impose the above restrictions, I'll probably take out a second VDSL line with them.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Thank you BDUK for bringing FTTC to the Scottish Highlands
TalkTalk Business 80/20
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-May-16 21:04:49
Print Post

Re: Vodafone ? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Zarjaz
Standard User DavaDK
(newbie) Tue 24-May-16 21:46:06
Print Post

Hey,

I'm on Vodafone.
Not that i can blame them, but have had a line fault due to Water works digging up roads and hitting cables.
One error leads sometime to another, and in this case, i have had nearly 3 months now with intermittent broadband, internal teams bouncing around and saying its the other team to solve/discuss with.
I've now had plenty of enough, yet todays calls only reveals they beg me to stay - but still won't let me go. So weird.

As for the router, i think it is great, in fact one of the best i've seen and used.

A shame their Customer Service is lagging a lot.
Pricing is possible on the best offer, so nothing to complain about there.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 24-May-16 22:12:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Any idea what backhaul arrangements they would make at a Market 1 exchange?

If you have a Vodafone mobile the price is very competitive. Something I will tell the Plusnet retention staff when my existing contract expires in a years time.

Michael Chare
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-May-16 23:07:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

ADSL or VDSL?

FTTC so I think that is VDSL

(knowledge is power) Tue 24-May-16 23:22:18
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
2) AFAIK they don't offer a static ip address, only dynamic.

The guy on the phone promised this was available, and for me it is essential. He did say thought that I would have to be connected first, then that added, and it would be free.

The actual reason for my post is I confess he was clueless. He kept getting his megabits, megabytes mixed with Gigabytes. He assured me that for my address I would get 74mb (Gigabytes) download speed and the upload would be the same as the download (currently 56/17). When I eventually fed him my phone number his estimates were a little more realistic however he kept quoting the high figures.

They did mention at the beginning of the call that it was recorded, I just wish I had recorded it as well as I suspect they would have had to give me fiber to my house to satisfy some of his wild claims. He rather struck me as he would say anything to make the sale and the trades descriptions act was not relevant.

I imagine that all else being equal, my speeds would be largely the same. The IP address though is critical to me. The modem sound good and as long as I can turn off DCHP and wireless, both of which, I deal with with different systems.

It was a good deal but he assured me that as I was delaying while considering it, a better one would probably be available next month.

(knowledge is power) Tue 24-May-16 23:27:42
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Something I will tell the Plusnet retention staff when my existing contract expires in a years time.

I am with Plusnet and actually very happy with an excellent (for me) service. I am out of contract and before I make a decision I will definitely ring the retentions team.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-May-16 10:02:45
Print Post

Vodafone LLU is not listed at my exchange and they are offering unlimited, unshaped ADSL2+ for £10 a month non-offer price (without a Vodafone mobile).

If this is over BT Wholesale I'm not sure it's sustainable.

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to