General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mauimauer
(newbie) Thu 26-May-16 12:54:39
Print Post

Switching ISP(BT, Zen) and upgrade to Fibre at the same time

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I am currently using BT with an ADSL2+ Service. Fibre is due to be enabled in August this year (I think it might even be a bit sooner).

My plan is to switch to Zen and subscribe to one of their Fibre packages once it's available on my Cabinet. I wonder what's the best approach to take here.

* Should I switch now, and upgrade to Fibre later.
* Should I wait and do the switch and upgrade once Fibre is available (don't even know if the ISP migration process supports cross-grades)
* Should I wait, upgrade to Fibre on BT and then switch to Zen?

Cheers,
Sebastian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-May-16 12:59:31
Print Post

Re: Switching ISP(BT, Zen) and upgrade to Fibre at the same

[re: mauimauer] [link to this post]

If the Zen ADSL2+ service suits your needs then switching now, so long as no contract implications is fine.

Migration that also involve an upgrade to a VDSL2 service are supported.

If you upgrade to BT Infinity then its a 12 month contract before you can switch to another provider.

General advice though is to actually wait for the fibre service to actually be available to order, as dates can slip.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mauimauer
(newbie) Thu 26-May-16 13:03:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How long does the ISP migration process typically take?
I want to switch to Zen for several reasons, but don't want to make the process more complicated than it already is.

Contract-wise I can probably take advantage of BT's recent price hike.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-May-16 13:06:30
Print Post

If your cabinet was not getting fibre, would you stay with BT or move to Zen here and now?

If you would move now then do it now. Fibre enablement dates are highly changeable and the upgrade can be delayed many times or even fall through.

If you are only contemplating moving to Zen for fibre, and moving now would just be to simplify the process in some way, then stay where you are. For the above reasons.

There is no reason in the Openreach and BT Wholesale systems why you couldn't move from ADSL2+ with BT to Fibre with Zen. Whether Zen have the systems in place to do it I have no idea. I would ask them, unless a later poster knows.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-May-16 13:09:03
Print Post

Ten days for like to like, but ADSL2+ to fibre maybe longer. Are you talking FTTC or FTTP?

Does Zen have "LLU" presence at your exchange? That too could be relevant to the timescales and procedure

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User mauimauer
(newbie) Thu 26-May-16 13:14:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Zen is present at LWHAM

Currently on ADSL2+
Target (once they finally connect the cabinet, power connect is scheduled for Jun, 4th) is FTTC

I guess I might as well switch now...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-May-16 20:44:51
Print Post

Like I said re switching now if you intend to anyway, then upgrade.

As for June 4, that doesn't really mean much in many cases. It doesn't even mean it gets done successfully.

Does this checker say anything about FTTC for your number?

Print Thread

Jump to