General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-16 15:52:13
Print Post

Study shows fast broadband needed for things that need it

[link to this post]

Brilliant BBC news story.

Apparently, things that need fast broadband are not being used by people that don't have fast broadband. These guys must have been well paid to create this study.

"It is clear that high-speed broadband is an important factor in the use of bandwidth-intensive applications such as BBC iPlayer,"

And it list areas that suffer particularly badly and then later states that it is using data from between May 2013 and January 2014 - considering the amount of changes to the network data that is at least 2.5 years old is pretty much useless.

BBC seem to be wasting their time posting news about a report that states the obvious based on very old data.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jun-16 15:55:45
Print Post

Re: Study shows fast broadband needed for things that need i

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

And article could give some the impression that 25 Mbps is needed for video streaming.

Surprising (though not really given level of tech knowledge in UK) that 10 Mbps should support two HD streams and still allow for some web browsing at the same time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-16 15:56:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Indeed - the article is a whole load of misinformation.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-16 20:56:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
"It is clear that high-speed broadband is an important factor in the use of bandwidth-intensive applications such as BBC iPlayer,"
Lol. iPlayer is only bandwidth intensive if you're on dial-up or in a slow-spot. It tops out at, what, 3Mb/s?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jun-16 07:45:37
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Given the age of the data there would have been a higher percentage of people on 2Mb/s or less services so to them it would be "bandwidth intensive" - but I agree, there example is not the best and is supporting a statement that is pointless.

It's a bit like saying plants that need a lot of water need to be watered a lot.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 16-Jun-16 09:03:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Lol. iPlayer is only bandwidth intensive if you're on dial-up or in a slow-spot. It tops out at, what, 3Mb/s?
5.5 Mb/s nowadays
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jun-16 09:20:38
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
In reply to a post by Andrue:
5.5 Mb/s nowadays
http://blog.e-shot.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/...

laugh

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 16-Jun-16 10:02:00
Print Post

The report and the survey seem to indirectly confirm the BT OR published figures for upgrading to xxxx-Fast Broadband, being in the region of 20 to 30% of "the premises passed".

"My" FTTC has between 63 and possibly 70 actual Upgrades out of 288 total available in the Huawei FTTC cabinet, about 22% to 24%, since becoming available in March 2014.

63 was the figure I was given directly from records about 3 months back, as the 64th was being processed.

Judging by the subsequent lack of sightings of BT OR and/or Kelly vehicles since, that suggests that even my guesstimate of 70 by today, may be optimistic.

---------

My impression is that most such surveys and reports are compiled by persons who are "enthusiasts" for "fast broadband" per se.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jun-16 16:52:58
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

My FTTC cabinet went live in April 2012. We've just had a second cabinet installed (this month) so it's taken just over four years to fill up the first one.

That's Brackley, cabinet 15.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 16-Jun-16 16:55:47
Print Post

Thanks.

Interesting contrasts between apparent demands and actual up-grades.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to