General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jmmo20
(newbie) Thu 23-Jun-16 18:59:26
Print Post

Leeds city centre poor speed and options

[link to this post]

Hi,
I'm about to rent a flat in the Victoria Quays region in Leeds.
It's the centre, with lots of new develpoments around. I never thought I would have broadband issues in this area.

It turns out I can only get ADSL2 with 3mbps!

Hyperoptic won't touch my building because it's old (they claim lack of raisers make installation too costly).

When I check the BT openreach checker it says FTTC is not even planned for my postcode. Some other checkers (like sam knows) claim it is FTTC enabled.

The Zoopla speed checker for hte rental property also claimed I should have 40mbps FTTC.

What's going on in this area?
Should I lose any hope of decent broadband while I live in this property?

thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Jun-16 19:27:40
Print Post

Re: Leeds city centre poor speed and options

[re: jmmo20] [link to this post]

What does this checker say for the address? Use the Address option, not the postcode option.

For BT FTTC and ADSLx the postcode checker is highly unreliable. The reason being that many postcodes cam be served by more than one cabinet, but it only reports the first in the database.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jmmo20
(newbie) Thu 23-Jun-16 19:31:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

it doesn't look good

https://postimg.org/image/gvw6kfuxd/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Jun-16 19:52:28
Print Post

Could be far worse, but a pity there is no FTTC.

That is generally the most reliable checker.

On the line above the table, did it give a cabinet number? If so there are links (that I don't know offhand) for checking if anything is scheduled for it. In time they show up on this one but I think others are earlier.

If there is no cabinet number that normally means the line comes direct from the exchange. (An EO line). That is often bad news. However a lot of such lines are slowly having a cabinet placed just outside the exchange to enable FTTC.

Again, there may be some other information around. With luck once you establish cabinet or EO someone else may be able to help. Post which it is, and the cabinet number if it has one smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User jmmo20
(newbie) Thu 23-Jun-16 19:59:08
Print Post

no all it says is address and "on Exchange LEEDS"
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Jun-16 21:20:32
Print Post

That could be really bad news. "Things can only get better". We need someone to pop in who knows how to look into "fill-in areas".

Standard User jmmo20
(newbie) Thu 23-Jun-16 21:40:47
Print Post

I'm really shocked that in such a new and vibrant area, BT hasn't even bothered with street cabinets.

I also called Hyperoptic and they said they had surveyed my buillding but since it had no risers, installing fibre wasn't viable.

frown
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Jun-16 23:47:06
Print Post

The PCP (phone cabinet) layout is very much years old, from long before FTTC existed. ADSLx is not affected by being via cabinet or EO.

Although my posts since we discovered the address is almost certainly EO have been discouraging, there definitely are a lot of conversions of EO lines to near-exchange cabinets going on. It's just I don't know the places to look to see if that address has any current plans for this.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jun-16 23:54:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by jmmo20:
I'm really shocked that in such a new and vibrant area, BT hasn't even bothered with street cabinets.

That's nothing unusual for BT, BT has installed FTTP in my area and also down my road including our chamber and phone pole, which was done back in 2011 - 2012.

The FTTP hardware is live in our chamber and up our phone pole due to just one home can get it and has in fact got it.

Yet BT / Openreach both basically says that there is still work to do and until that work has completed no fibre for us.

And when we provide information and proof that its live and complete and that there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to get it and then both BT and Openreach stops responding and then ignore all emails and phone calls.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 23-Jun-16 23:55:17)

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Fri 24-Jun-16 02:12:29
Print Post

what the name of your building -- and your postcode -- is their a managing agent for the building
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to