General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jul-16 14:26:01
Print Post

data use meter on EE

[link to this post]

i did ask this in the EE forum on this site but no answer, either people do not know or the EE forum is deadsmile

Brother is on EE and considering getting rid of landline and getting a mobile dongle for his broadband as he do not use it a lot, but before he does I need to know how much data he uses, so do EE have a monitor on usage like Plusnet does?

thank you

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Edited by zyborg47 (Mon 04-Jul-16 14:26:34)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Jul-16 17:02:30
Print Post

Re: data use meter on EE

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Don't ever recall people talking about a usage meter for their fixed line service, so down to use software like tbbMeter and others that are available to get an idea of how much they use.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jul-16 06:40:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Don't ever recall people talking about a usage meter for their fixed line service, so down to use software like tbbMeter and others that are available to get an idea of how much they use.

thanks, I will stick BBmeter on his laptop, I am going to have a look at it in a few days anyway as his trackpad is not working. software problem I hope.

I still am not sure if going for a mobile dongle is a good idea, I suppose if he don't use much data then it will save money, but will it be as reliable?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jul-16 08:11:48
Print Post

I have used MiFi devices from time to time and if there is a good signal then they are usually pretty good. Alternatively could get a 4G capable router and put the SIM in that - again, with a good signal this should work well.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jul-16 09:09:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I have used MiFi devices from time to time and if there is a good signal then they are usually pretty good. Alternatively could get a 4G capable router and put the SIM in that - again, with a good signal this should work well.

Cheers for that, I will have a word with him next week to see how he wants to go about it and I will have a look at prices for mobile data.
I have his computer now for a couple of days to sort it out, I will put Think broadband usage meter on it to check how much data he uses over a month.
I am pretty sure he will not use much, he only really uses it for ebay stuff and the odd bit of browsing. He don't watch videos or play music with it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Jul-16 10:02:03
Print Post

Does he have a tablet using his router's wifi? tbbMeter won't pick that up. Similarly a smartphone using it, or an Internet radio. TV catchup?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User knighton
(regular) Wed 06-Jul-16 11:06:12
Print Post

I moved to using EE 4G from Satellite recently. My modem allows you to enter your monthly 'allowance' and to set a trigger point for notification that you have used e.g. 80% of your data.
  Print Thread

Jump to