General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 07-Jul-16 11:24:42
Print Post

ping command

[link to this post]

On my LAN I have one device that always seems to have some packet loss no matter from which computer the ping command is executed, even from the router itself. What steps can I take to resolve this issue; rebooting the device or the router doesn't change the end result. The CAT5e cable has been replaced. Guidance would be most welcomed to achieve zero packet loss.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-16 12:59:47
Print Post

Re: ping command

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

What sort of device is it? It may just be that it doesn't set any priority to responding to pings. Does it show other issues?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 07-Jul-16 13:02:39
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Update it's network card and/or drivers

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-16 13:12:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You're making an assumption that the device has drivers that can be updated. For all we know it is a Sky box, DVD player, TV, video camera, etc, etc. Not enough info in the OP to really give any definitive advice.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 07-Jul-16 13:15:27
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

No I'm not, I'm suggesting either the card or the drivers are updated. If that's not possible, the device should be replaced.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 07-Jul-16 13:16:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Not enough info in the OP to really give any definitive advice.
And no suggestion that data packets are being lost.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-16 13:47:28
Print Post

As Bob indicates as well, there is nothing here to say there is anything actually wrong. A device not responding to pings (or having slow pings) means nothing unless there is something else visibly wrong. If the device is otherwise working then response to pings is meaningless - ping is very limited as a diagnostic tool.

Suggesting updating drivers or replacing devices is in my opinion to early in this case as so far we haven't actually seen there is anything actually wrong with the device.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 07-Jul-16 13:52:49
Print Post

The CAT5 cable has already been replaced. Dealing with the device itself is the logical next step.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-16 15:31:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The CAT5 cable has already been replaced. Dealing with the device itself is the logical next step.

But dealing with what? There is no evidence that the device has any problems from the current info.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Jul-16 16:17:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Update it's network card and/or drivers
It depends on the device, if its an embedded system like a media device there might not be a network card to change due to it all being embedded, there might not even be a firmware update either.

If its working and gets packet loss now and then, the device might be under load and unable to keep up with processing everything, hence the packet loss.

But until we hear more from the OP its all guess work.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to