General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jul-16 17:25:14
Print Post

Whats a port reset?

[link to this post]

On TT LLU and for no reason even though i was connected i couldnt pass any data or ping any websites. Some would work but very slowly, but most just timed out. Rang my ISP before they closed and he said he would do a "port reset". He did this and i rebooted the router and im back at my normal speed.

I did forget to ask him what a port reset was, so anyone shed any light as to what it is, and why it fixed my sudden issues?

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 07-Jul-16 17:25:30)

Standard User lee111s
(committed) Thu 07-Jul-16 21:20:49
Print Post

Re: Whats a port reset?

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Pretty much what it says on the tin.

Your lin me is connected to a port in the DSLAM or MSAN. They can remotely turn then off then back on again, much like you rebooting your router although they don't reboot the whole DSLAM, just your port.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jul-16 13:53:51
Print Post

Re: Whats a port reset?

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Cheers for that.

Not sure if the port reset or the router reboot fixed it as both were performed at the same time. I initially only rebooted the router via the router admin page, but then they told me to turn the router off so they could do a port reset.

Not sure if there is a difference between rebooting via the admin page rather than a complete power down of the router, but something worked

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to