General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Damarr
(committed) Sun 10-Jul-16 14:42:56
Print Post

Slow connection due to old router and ancient wiring - help?

[link to this post]

I have moved into rented accommodation, less than a kilometre from the local exchange, and found that the Sky broadband is running at a blistering 4.3Mbps. The available stats:

2.5 Noise Margin (Up / Down) : 11 dB / 6.1 dB
2.6 Attenuation (Up / Down) : 33.9 dB / 17.5 dB
2.7 Power (Up / Down) : 12.2 dBm / 19.8 dBm

There are two apparent issues:

The O2 wireless box (mark 5) is not connecting via ADSL2+. The connection type is given as G.992.3 (ADSL2) while the ADSL2+ connection is apparently 'waiting for the DHCP server'. I have looked into this and it appears to be a legacy issue from the O2/Sky transfer, which will require a new box. Will Sky cough one up?

The second issue is that even the ADSL2 speed seems low for a line with decent attenuation (BT's line checker estimated a speed of about 7.5Mbps). The wiring is potentially the cause. All of the lines on this street run off a telegraph pole. The line meets the house near the roof, runs to a small black box of some sort about half way up the house and then branches off in three different directions (master bedroom, living room and basement).

There is no master socket and the only socket in use - with the router - has a microfilter fitted. Is there any possibility that Sky or BT would be prepared to sort the wiring out? I imagine they wouldn't do anything about the internal wiring, but installing a master socket in the living room and cutting off the other (unused) branches would be acceptable. Has anyone experience with making this sort of request?

Thanks.
Standard User Damarr
(committed) Sun 10-Jul-16 15:17:31
Print Post

Re: Slow connection due to old router and ancient wiring - h

[re: Damarr] [link to this post]

As an alternative to messing about with Sky and trying to blag an engineer visit, if I placed an order for BT Infinity, would the Openreach engineer fit a master socket as part of the installation? The black box thing is about 15ft off the ground.
Standard User brandscill
(experienced) Sun 10-Jul-16 15:36:59
Print Post

If it ends up being a self install then nothing will happen. I suggest ringing up to find out if they'll send an engineer, if they do and there is no master socket then I expect they'll fit one. This happened for me when ordering ADSL from the Post Office.

Also, if it's rented then be careful about cutting off all the extensions, it's probably not your call to make, unless you mean unused as in cannot be used and not simply unused by yourself.

Plus Net - 40/20

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jul-16 16:14:24
Print Post

As an alternative to messing about with Sky and trying to blag an engineer visit, if I placed an order for BT Infinity, would the Openreach engineer fit a master socket as part of the installation?

Most FTTC installations are 'self install' now, no engineer visit.

I'd be ringing Sky (since it is them you pay for the service from) and hopefully they'll get an engineer out on an SFI task,

they'll sort the wiring no problem.

Standard User Damarr
(committed) Sat 23-Jul-16 14:09:51
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It turns out that the terrible speeds weren't due to the internal wiring or router.

BT Infinity has been ordered and a new BT phone line was requested at the same time. The new number is now active (Infinity has been delayed until Wednesday because of capacity issues) and the Sky ADSL is still connecting; the downstream sync has somehow increased from 4.5Mbps to 19.8Mbps and my pings have stabilised.

It turned out that we had Sky as a voice/ISP but the line was still being rented from BT, so I'm not sure why this has happened as I presume they wouldn't have physically changed anything at the exchange when 'turning on' the new line. Oh well, I'm not complaining.

Going back to Infinity, does the revised activation date seem optimistic? BT has told me that the engineer went to do the work on Friday but found there wasn't any capacity; Openreach would have to be pretty on it to have the work done within three working days. Is there any way to check whether this is actually the plan or if BT has just given me a place holder date that will slip? I'm on Vauxhall cabinet 25.

Edited by Damarr (Sat 23-Jul-16 14:11:16)

Standard User Damarr
(committed) Mon 25-Jul-16 18:49:57
Print Post

And the work must have been done as the connection is now active. Download sync is 55.00Mbps and upload sync is 10.00Mbps. To think I was worried!
  Print Thread

Jump to