General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 10-Jul-16 19:01:13
Print Post

What is ADSL Multicast?

[link to this post]

Hi all, we are on a rural exchange, recently the term ADSL Multicast - Available has appeared on the DSL checker. What isthis and what does it mean. Since we get less then 1meg I dont expect it would make any difference anyway would it? Lol

cheers
Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Jul-16 19:15:48
Print Post

Re: What is ADSL Multicast?

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

It means ISPs can stream something like the football once to exchanges and their customers then stream from the exchanges not from the source. Saves a lot of bandwidth for the ISPs.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 10-Jul-16 19:25:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Certainly not going to make the slightest difference to me then,lol.

Thanks

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 10-Jul-16 21:36:43
Print Post

I always thought that ADSL multicast is not available on ADSL Max exchanges.....your exchange may have recently been upgraded to adsl2+

Should mean more download speed and quicker BT profile alignment; it may be worth asking your isp if you can be migrated to ADSL2 or ADSL2+
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Tue 12-Jul-16 20:12:07
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

The exchange has just been upgraded with fibre, but my line is roughly 6km long so we are stuck on less then 1 meg. As for my ISP. Dont get me started! Its the Post Office who are nothing short of a joke!

many thsnks though
woody

regards,
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 12-Jul-16 20:15:08
Print Post

How far to your cabinet?

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Jul-16 20:32:41
Print Post

Would you take fibre if you could get it? (The Post Office don't do it anyway so you would have to migrate).

The fact your exchange is fibre enabled doesn't mean to say you can get it. What does the Address option of this checker say? (Do not use the postcode option).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jul-16 22:47:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The OP had noticed that his checker was reporting the presence of "ADSL multicast".

If it were reporting "VDSL multicast" - which shows the cabinet has been upgraded with FTTC, even if the line is too long - I think he'd have asked the question about that too.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 12-Jul-16 23:38:00
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I didn't realise it was only two days after the OP that he posted about the exchange having just got fibre. I thought the fibre at the exchange was more recent smile.

So you're right. I just got confused.

Print Thread

Jump to