General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kirah
(newbie) Mon 18-Jul-16 18:00:49
Print Post

Adding a data extension

[link to this post]

Whilst trying to improve our broadband speed BT changed our master socket so we now have an integrated filter. It's a MK3 and is of course in the wrong place for the modem. Spotted this guide and was going to attempt it
https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357-moving-bt-infini...
But our socket has no data extension crone connectors. It looks like all the data part is inaccessible in the faceplate. The only connectors are for a phone line extension which of purse you can't then put a filter on. Anyone know if BT have intentionally mase this change! Was thinking of just buying one of there https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html which does seem to have the blocks. They want £160 to move the master socket!!
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jul-16 19:58:59
Print Post

Re: Adding a data extension

[re: Kirah] [link to this post]

That would be the correct item to use.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jul-16 20:06:34
Print Post

Intentionally made as the internal wiring often causes the speeds to plummet if the internal wiring is poor quality, runs by electronic wiring, goes past electrical appliances, has bell wire connected etc etc.

If you had a full engineer install, they will usually relocate the master socket if the location makes no sense. I am surprised they have left you with a poor setup.

You say you already have an MK3 filter - then you later say you are thinking of buying one of these https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html

Do you realise the link you are thinking of buying is also an MK3 filter, which you state you already have?

I suspect you are just removing the very front faceplate and just not seeing the data extension terminals.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jul-16 20:27:33
Print Post

If you have a MKIII xDSL Filter Faceplate it should look like >> this << when taken apart.
I have highlighted the Data Extension IDC Connection on the xDSL Filter Faceplate.

You can either use the IDC Data Extension connector or the RJ45 socket (i.e. the top connector), I use the internal IDC connector and use the RJ45 with the phone faceplate removed when I need to tests stuff.

I hope that helps.

Paul
Standard User Tom_90
(newbie) Tue 26-Jul-16 08:30:58
Print Post

Hi!

I've got the same issue. Is getting a new socket the only way? I've searched the web and found nothing.
Are there any workarounds?

Standard User TheEulerID
(experienced) Tue 26-Jul-16 08:47:08
Print Post

[re: Tom_90] [link to this post]

There are two ways round this. Either buy a replacement faceplate which has a VDSL taekoff, like this one

http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/xte-2005-master-facepla...

Alternatively you can run a data-only extension off the RJ11 VDSL socket on the front of your socket. Not as near of course, and if you have to attach to an existing extension you might need to insert a small junction box to allow for the RJ11 connection. If, however, it's a new extension it's not too much of an issue as you can buy data extension kits.

nb. If you buy a replacement faceplate it's always wise to retain the OR faceplate in case of problems as it's easy to reinstall it if you need an engineer's visit.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 26-Jul-16 11:54:50
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheEulerID:
Alternatively you can run a data-only extension off the RJ11 VDSL socket on the front of your socket. Not as near of course, and if you have to attach to an existing extension you might need to insert a small junction box to allow for the RJ11 connection. If, however, it's a new extension it's not too much of an issue as you can buy data extension kits.

Cheaper to buy a new faceplate. However the neatest way is to fit a single RJ45 Socket immediately adjacent, run Cat5e cable to the desired location and fit another RJ45 socket. Then a short RJ11 patch lead from Faceplate to RJ45

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 26-Jul-16 12:15:43
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I think this filtered plate may have been installed as part of a Boost job or similar for ADSLx, but agree with you the data extension terminals should be there. Though I have a feeling the latest ones are not IDC.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jul-16 19:43:35
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Cheaper to buy a new faceplate. However the neatest way is to fit a single RJ45 Socket immediately adjacent, run Cat5e cable to the desired location and fit another RJ45 socket. Then a short RJ11 patch lead from Faceplate to RJ45

Agreed, and hopefully not to use the flat cable for the short RJ11 to RJ45 cable, there is nothing worse for the noise to get in the last rubbish flat cable tongue

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Jul-16 19:47:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think this filtered plate may have been installed as part of a Boost job or similar for ADSLx, but agree with you the data extension terminals should be there. Though I have a feeling the latest ones are not IDC.
The MKIII do have them, shown in my picture that I posted in my last post.

We not long had a boost engineer that even though the entire NTE5a box including all face plates was brand new (several months old) he replaced the lot with brand new ones and they still had the 2 pin IDC connector.

So they are still there as IDC.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to