General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User megapleb
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-16 20:24:00
Print Post

Why "up to 17Mb" now, when used to be "up to 24Mb"?

[link to this post]

Hi,

The last time I went broadband hunting was about five years ago, and at that time, ADSL providers advertised "up to 24Mb" services. As I look at what's on offer now, everything says "up to 17Mb". I assume that data rates haven't gotten worse, but the name suggest if I move I'll be stuck with a lower speed than I currently get (~21Mb)?

The background is, I signed up with Bethere five years ago, and having been sold to O2, then Sky, I'm now paying £20.30 a month for a service that seems little different to what I can get elsewhere for more like £10 a month. I'm considering moving, but don't particularly want a downgrade in speed.

Can anyone tell me if I'm likely to see the same speed I do now if I move?

Thanks!
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jul-16 20:43:51
Print Post

Re: Why "up to 17Mb" now, when used to be "up to 24Mb"?

[re: megapleb] [link to this post]

The underlying ADSL2+ technology is still capable of 24 Mbit/s, but UK advertising rules now require that at least 10% of customers can get the advertised 'up to' speed. As a result, ADSL2+ is now sold as 'up to 17 Mbit/s". If your line is capable of more than that, it will work at the faster speed.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 25-Jul-16 21:28:27
Print Post

As well as what David_W correctly explains, you may well find that if you point this out to Sky and that you are thinking of leaving because of it, that you will be passed to their "Retentions" team and offered a good deal.

That's if you are content with the service itself. Sky does seem from what we see on these forums to be amongst the better ISPs.

Which ISP(s) are you thinking of migrating to? Is your line rental also with Sky, or elsewhere?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User megapleb
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-16 21:31:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks both smile

I'll give sky a call and see what they say. My phone line is currently with the post office. Other options I've seen are Plusnet and Virgin Media.

What's put me off so far is I'm renting my home month to month so could have to leave within the next 12 months. Do you know if Sky force to take a new committed contract period if they offer a retention deal?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 25-Jul-16 21:42:02
Print Post

Surely Virgin Media are offering completely different speeds? I thought they had stopped doing ADSL2+. VM cable is a different technology and doesn't come over your telephone line. Can you get it?

I think Plusnet will tie you into a 12-month contract, though they do "House moves".

Whether Sky will require a tie-in is up to you to negotiate. I would expect them to.

Also with Plusnet the cheapo "initial period" deals all require you to take Plusnet line rental at some exorbitant cost. If you leave your rental with the PO you will pay the advertised full price (the price advertised for after the cheapo period) plus £2.50 (I believe £3.50 soon).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-16 22:20:21
Print Post

Sky retention a will offer you a cracking deal compared to the existing one. Just be prepared to take the line rental with sky. They will be able to offer you something easily £10 cheaper, possibly even free for a period of time.

Regarding contract it will be 12 months, that is standard, but if you do move house you can take the service with you into the new property. Sky have a dedicated house move team & usually they will negotiate a deal when you relocate (usually a new contract again but deal with that at the time). IE they often say we can setup your existing service at your new address if you stay with us for another 12 months.

EDIT you want to speak with cancellations in order to get the good deals. So go through as if you are leaving sky.

Look at overall cost. Sky will be much cheaper to have broadband + phone + line rental, vs having it elsewhere. Their line rental is more expensive but they will be able to discount the broadband price massively if you take line rental so the overall price will be much cheaper.

Also with a home move its sooooo much easier to have one provider who can migrate everything over in one go. It will be one quick call and everything setup, with a date given to you. No contacting anyone else or BT. Sky can do everything and handle it end to end.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 25-Jul-16 22:25:24)

Standard User megapleb
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-16 22:20:55
Print Post

VM is an option yes. It was actually at this place when I moved in five years ago, but there was a problem with data stopping every few minutes for up to a minute which made online gaming impossible. After several attempts to get VM to fix it, I left them. It makes me a bit concerned about going back to them on a new contract and potentially being tied in for a long period.

I'm not opposed to moving away from the post office. I think they are generally £1 a month cheaper than elsewhere, though again, I'm concerned about new contract length.

Edited by megapleb (Mon 25-Jul-16 22:26:40)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jul-16 01:39:36
Print Post

On Skys website they offer the following deal

£5 for unlimited broadband for 12 months.
+ Line rental of £17.40

Total price including landline = £22.40

You are currently paying at least £20.30 + £16 line rental = £36.30

However I do know, Sky have offered me personally broadband for £0 for 12 months + line rental. So a monthly cost of £17.40 total. This deal requires you to have line rental with Sky.

I would start negotiating with sky by stating your friend has been offered sky broadband free for a year + Line rental (your friend is me). See if they can match this offer. If not, see if they can match the website at £5 + Line rental.

Report back with your success smile
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jul-16 12:21:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Also with Plusnet the cheapo "initial period" deals all require you to take Plusnet line rental at some exorbitant cost.

Yes, but sometimes the deal they offer is so good that the "exorbitant cost" of the line rental becomes irrelevant.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 64000/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jul-16 13:45:00
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Yes, but sometimes the deal they offer is so good that the "exorbitant cost" of the line rental becomes irrelevant.

Usually the case in fact. Always look at the total package cost.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to