General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User themusicguy6
(newbie) Thu 28-Jul-16 23:59:27
Print Post

MOVING ISP DISASTER

[link to this post]

First post!!!!

So our Fibre Cabinet has FINALLY been installed after 5 years!

We have 2 lines in the address.
1 is my dads business line (UniCom)
1 is the residential line (TalkTalk).

We are trying to get Vodafone Broadband for the residential line and retain the number, and leave the business line alone.

Although EVERY time Vodafone are submitting the order, we are getting letters and emails from BOTH UniCom and TalkTalk to say 'Sorry You're Leaving Us'....

Vodafone are informing us they have no way of differentiating the line.

Where do I go from here???

Thanks!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-Jul-16 00:11:03
Print Post

Re: MOVING ISP DISASTER

[re: themusicguy6] [link to this post]

Somewhere other than Vodafone? I.e. an ISP that knows what they are doing. It's almost as though they are using the address, not the phone number.

At a guess Unicom are re-selling a TalkTalk Business Wholesale service, so Vodafone are confused. That could explain why they aren't using the phone number, as neither would appear in the BT Wholesale database they may be looking at.

However - the implication is they are ordering twice! One for each line.

As a side issue, looking two or three of the results here I'm surprised your Dad's business line is OK. Though the service from TTBW is generally good, so maybe no need to ever contact Unicom.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User themusicguy6
(newbie) Fri 29-Jul-16 00:16:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply RobertoS!

It sounds right what you are saying!
Vodafone say its a 'lucky dip' which line it takes over, which isn't great if theres a chance it can disrupt a business line!

I think it may be worthwhile looking at BT, I was talking to one of their advisers who informed me they path the line through the landline number provided when retaining, if that makes sense???

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 29-Jul-16 00:24:57
Print Post

Um.

Amongst the larger providers BT are probably the most likely to get things right. To some extent it depends where the number originated.

If it started as a "BT" number, i.e. the line wasn't originally ordered from TalkTalk, then that is good. If it was ordered as a new line from TalkTalk I would feel there was a risk. Do you happen to know? And similarly, what was the status of your Dad's line before it went to Unicom.

Among the smaller (more expensive) providers uno might be good at sorting it - if you make sure you explain the setup. An excellent ISP.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57791/14021kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Jul-16 08:48:11
Print Post

I've got multiple lines and moved between Talktalk, and BT no issues.

The issues probably just that Vodafone are new to the ISP market.

That said Talktalk fibre is pretty good - any reason for switching?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jul-16 10:16:48
Print Post

Vodafone say its a 'lucky dip' which line it takes over

What a load of rubbish - just done a migration in a property with two services and not a glimmer about the line I did not order on. Vodafone should be using the telephone number to identify the circuit as well as the address, clearly they are not and this is causing the problem.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Jul-16 10:23:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If they are both MPF services, they won't see the last two digits of the number on the Openreach database, just the circuit number meaning what they say is quite correct.

I suspect if the OP was able to get the circuit reference, he could then give that to Vodafone so they can identify the correct line.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Jul-16 11:11:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As an aside - I don't find Uno expensive - Fiver cheaper at £23 than my last provider for line BB and fixed IP!

Edited by professor973 (Fri 29-Jul-16 11:13:47)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 29-Jul-16 11:17:11
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

If they are both MPF services, they won't see the last two digits of the number on the Openreach database, just the circuit number meaning what they say is quite correct.

Surely an issue that CP's should be pushing to resolve ? How can this be acceptable to Openreach/CP's/End Users ??

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Jul-16 11:18:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

No, because Openreach have no visibility of whatever number the MPF provider might assign which is why circuit references are used.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to