General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Fri 05-Aug-16 07:21:40
Print Post

Recommendation for Wireless AP

[link to this post]

Hanging off the end of CAT5 cable is a wireless access point re-using an unloved tp-link router. However for whatever reason the wireless coverage has quite limited range. So I'm in the market place for something better that has to include the ability for 4 ports for directly connected devices.

Suggestions for hardware that would do the business of a good wireless range / footprint would be most welcomed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Aug-16 11:03:06
Print Post

Re: Recommendation for Wireless AP

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Consider a NETGEAR EX7000-100UKS AC1900 around £120 to £130, dual band wireless access point, though promoted more as a Wi-Fi extender. Have double checked that it does have an access point mode. You lose 1 Ethernet port in Access Point mode, but would leave you with 4 ports still.

Loads of TP-Link options at lower prices, and some wireless routers such as the Asus range usually have an access point mode too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chris464
(newbie) Sat 06-Aug-16 15:37:28
Print Post

This might do the trick:

DrayTek VigorAP 902

I've used the previous version with great success (AP 900).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User strongy
(newbie) Sat 06-Aug-16 22:25:50
Print Post

Check this out
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO UniFi AC1750 WiFi PoE Access Point, Indoor/Outdoor, Simultaneous Dual-Band (1750Mbps AC)

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/23765-ubiqu...
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Aug-16 08:58:58
Print Post

[re: strongy] [link to this post]

This only has two ethernet ports so not enough.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Aug-16 16:53:50
Print Post

If you are trying to improve the existing APs wireless range, it is unlikely changing the device will have a huge impact.

Wireless range is determined largely by the wireless output restrictions set by law. Every AP in my experience goes relatively the same distance. Yes, some are terrible, but as an example my Sky Hub, BT HomeHub 4, BT Homehub 5, Homehub 6, Netgear Nighthawk, Negear D6400 all have very similar range and all struggle in my back room.

The only real fix is to get an additional AP usually and have 2 APs broadcasting the signal.
  Print Thread

Jump to