General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lenham343
(newbie) Tue 09-Aug-16 11:07:26
Print Post

Is this the Olympics?

[link to this post]

Last night broadband was unuseable, and the ping monitor shows something strange for the last two nights. Lots of lost packets, but latency ok for the packets that do get through - implies congestion somewhere upstream?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/fef2adc35a0...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Aug-16 11:31:43
Print Post

Re: Is this the Olympics?

[re: lenham343] [link to this post]

if it was congestion due to streaming you would expect to see blue and yellow segments increasing too, and generally climbing before you get to the point of packet loss.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lenham343
(newbie) Tue 09-Aug-16 19:10:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, when we're using broadband and particularly if streaming, we get the blue & yellow increasing.

But in this case, I'm seeing packet loss without much use of the line ourselves, and without much change in underlying latency - so I thought if might be some issue further into the network.

Speeds have been ok through the day, but just now, over 4 speed tests, am consistently getting the warning:
"Your HTTPx6 speed is vastly different to the tbbx1 result
This suggests an RWIN, congestion or other problem".

Am using Windows 10, and no other use in-house. Maybe congestion is due to the teenage party going on across the road!? [Context is that our normal speed is around 4.5 Mbps, with several km of copper to reach the cabinet. ]

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Aug-16 21:46:27
Print Post

Can you link to your speedtest?

EDIT: Party should have no impact on your speeds. At most, there will be a few extra iPhones etc connected to the neighbours WiFi which is negligible, these devices will not be downloading much.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 09-Aug-16 21:50:46)

Standard User fenlandbroadband
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Aug-16 21:20:16
Print Post

I presume this might be Olympics related, my Plusnet Business Unlimited 80/20 connection:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/e0909c0f56e...

Not seen it doing this previous evenings, but started to notice everything was getting a little less responsive, slower between page loads etc... Connection and speed still seems fine though and no problems with multiple BBC HD streams without any buffering, so if things are starting to get congested somewhere the signs of it aren't too obviously thankfully.

Ironic... Just as I clicked to post this the connection completely dropped, usually very reliable. Now on very flakey 3G

(member) Sun 14-Aug-16 22:20:21
Print Post

[re: fenlandbroadband] [link to this post]

Our usually solid Plusnet connection has also significantly slowed down, though it nominally stays at full 18.9 Mb/s.....
Martin
  Print Thread

Jump to