General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Aug-16 13:12:31
Print Post

Vodafone to include line rental in cost

[link to this post]

BBC link.

Vodafone page.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Aug-16 14:02:44
Print Post

Re: Vodafone to include line rental in cost

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As played out on twitter, just jumping slightly ahead of the curve on the ASA changes that are on the way, and we've been switching to on our listings for some months now.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Tue 09-Aug-16 15:14:50
Print Post

It'll be interesting to see what it does to the market, It appears to make Virgin's Broadband only deal look quite expensive.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-16 07:53:19
Print Post

Which makes little difference as the line rental is still there but now hidden, could confuse people even more. At least with showing the line rental you do know what you are paying for.
The only advantage is that the price will be slightly lower, but that £49 connection fee for fibre wipes out most of the saving.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Wed 10-Aug-16 08:56:41
Print Post

I think this is how it needs to be but everyone needs to show the pricing like this or it gets confusing.

Customers don't need to know which bit is line rental and which bit isn't, it's pointless!
Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Wed 10-Aug-16 10:22:35
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

A line goes to your house then somewhere along the way you'll pay for it, no big deal really.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i7 PC
i7 Surface Pro 4
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Aug-16 10:37:42
Print Post

I think this actually plays into the hands of Openreach, since the ability for people to moan about paying £X for line rental and getting nothing back suddenly vanishes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Aug-16 11:43:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I agree in that respect, but it also plays into the hiding by the big boys of the exorbitant prices they charge for line rental and call charges. Ideal for BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Vodafone.

People moaning about line rental prices and call charges/packages simply aren't aware of the appallingly high margin the big retailers are achieving on those. It would have made a lot more sense for Ofcom to have put a cap on those margins and bring the true prices of broadband and "free sport" etc. into the glare of publicity.

Combining the prices is a complete stitch-up masquerading as openness. More detail and transparency/honesty is what is needed, not this.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Aug-16 12:13:34
Print Post

Have repeated the line that wholesale line rental costs have been coming down over the last few years generally, or at least flat, the opposite of the retail pricing. Alas gets lost in the Openreach/BT is evil coverage.

Some of the most recent broadband campaigning stuff is as real put together as all the leave/remain stuff this year, i.e. so many holes and question marks it is clearly designed to produce an emotional response rather than looking at any actual data.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-16 12:59:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Have repeated the line that wholesale line rental costs have been coming down over the last few years generally, or at least flat, the opposite of the retail pricing. Alas gets lost in the Openreach/BT is evil coverage.

Yeah that's obvious in places like Sky's official forum. Customers there complain whenever Sky increase line rental charges, then the usual fanboys blame Openreach for increasing wholesale prices when in fact they are not increasing at all.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to