General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Sat 03-Sep-16 21:03:34
Print Post

What future for the local exchange?

[link to this post]

When our FTTP network was being installed, one of the engineers remarked that our connection would be made to the spine cable some distance up the road from and before the exchange. I understood this to mean that our line would have no connection with the physical local exchange. If so, and as we will be on VOIP and could no doubt dump our local number in favour of one apparently from another geographical area, I wonder what now identifies our service with a particular location? Also, will the local exchange eventually wither and fade away?
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Sat 03-Sep-16 21:11:27
Print Post

Re: What future for the local exchange?

[re: sandcastle] [link to this post]

Some smaller ones will do eventually, but it will be some time yet as they still house LLU equipment for other providers using the copper network.
Standard User MC31
(newbie) Sat 03-Sep-16 21:54:54
Print Post

One of my work mates had a team brief a few weeks back and one guy asked what is going to be done about the state of some exch MDFs and some manager told him nothing as they would all be gone by 2020 as we will have a full FTTP network ! LOL there are two chances of that happening , slim and none and slim has just left town .

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

Edited by MC31 (Sat 03-Sep-16 22:15:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Sep-16 22:25:13
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

Which raises the usual question, why aren't the LLU suppliers buying into the Openreach FTTP products ?

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 04-Sep-16 01:54:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by sandcastle:
I wonder what now identifies our service with a particular location?
Nothing. If you have a VOIP number from the likes of Sipgate or Voipfone you can use it anywhere you can get an internet connection. Typically you can register an address in case you want to make a 999 call. I doubt the police will come knocking if you leave the receiver off the hook.

Michael Chare
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Sep-16 02:03:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Which raises the usual question, why aren't the LLU suppliers buying into the Openreach FTTP products ?

They aren't available widely enough to make it worth the CableLink.

If/when Openreach pulls its finger out and gets some serious premises passed, which shock horror will have to be on its own tab, I imagine there will be more interest.

I think they now just about have the hang of using the existing ducts without managing to spend more per premises than Virgin are including civils so hopefully between new build properties and those blessed with brownfield there will be more retail interest generated.
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Sep-16 09:11:31
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MC31:
One of my work mates had a team brief a few weeks back and one guy asked what is going to be done about the state of some exch MDFs and some manager told him nothing as they would all be gone by 2020 as we will have a full FTTP network ! LOL there are two chances of that happening , slim and none and slim has just left town .

Of course, its not going to be a full FTTP network but the days of the PSTN are numbered - and as others have said the smaller exchanges will eventually be closed.

BT recently said:

"Today, customers get a telephone line as a pre-requisite to having a broadband services. With single order broadband, customers will no longer get a telephony service with their line, they will get a physical line over which broadband is delivered. From 2018, we expect on the BT network that if the customer also wants a telephony service, there will be a pre-requisite of having a broadband line and that by 2022 we anticipate that the PSTN voice service will be withdrawn."

and ISDN etc. is due to be withdrawn by 2025..
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Sep-16 09:18:59
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

So not enough customers passed for them to deem it worth their while.....

... and yet Openreach profess to be driven by their customers, the CP's.

Sounds like a classic Mexican stand off doesn't it.

Surely now is the time for them to dip their toes, get their processes and CS up to speed. An exchange down the road from me already has over a thousand properties which are FTTP only, with many more on the way, ( 5 thousand I hear ) With a little more 'keenness' from all involved who knows where we'd be already.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Sep-16 10:56:23
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

and ISDN etc. is due to be withdrawn by 2025..

Yaaaaay. I hate ISDN lines.

Standard User sandcastle
(newbie) Sun 04-Sep-16 14:33:09
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

To put the question another way: Does BT's ONT have a unique address? Leading on from there: what does this aspect of one's identity look like? And is there any possibility of the ONT being hacked?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to