General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-16 09:34:11
Print Post

Broadband Map Speed Test Results

[link to this post]

My apologies if this has been discussed before:
Should the speed test results on the broadband map be time or count limited in some way. I have been "providing" test results for a while and the figure on the map seems to be some sort of average of all results. As I have switched from ADSL to VDSL this figure is now meaningless so perhaps individual results should be dropped after say six months (assuming say there are more than 1 or two results) . This would give a moving average which would be a bit more relevant and useful.

(Sorry I know this is extra work !! )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plusnet Fibre 40/2 Netgear DGND4000 and Netgear DM200
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Sep-16 09:38:15
Print Post

Re: Broadband Map Speed Test Results

[re: watsonm] [link to this post]

IIRC it is six months.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-16 09:44:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I'll wait a bit longer then for my 226 results to fade away ten smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 08-Sep-16 09:58:34
Print Post

I haven't looked at the Amos for a very long time, but IIRC you can click on a speed and see the results giving rise to the average? And the ISPs.

If I'm right you should be able to see your old ones dropping off. Do you have them logged on your Main Site profile, to cross-reference?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-16 10:21:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Never looked there before...

I seem to have two test tables, one flash and one not.

The non flash has results from 2011/12, not a lot of use any more !!

I downloaded the flash table to CSV and it seemed to match the results on the map.So I am not convinced they are dropping off the map. Deleted all he 2011/12 ones and see if map get updated overnight.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-16 13:24:21
Print Post

I have noted this with what are uniquely my 274 measurements.

I seem to recollect Andrew saying about 18 months back, that iw was about 120 days.

I have recently done a few tests at my daughter's house; and separately at my grandson's house, in areas where other TBB tests are rare, so will keep an eye on them.

With all three locations, as things stand; I don't think that other users on the same ISP are the cause.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Sep-16 15:34:08
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

120 days for the map, and tests stay in accounts forever as we sometimes do new analysis methods and thus need the old data around so can do historical comparisons.

So it is already a rolling average of the tests in the area covered by the marker, so to be just a single postcode you need to zoom in a long way.

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local shows some of the analysis we do run on the speed tests people do, and presents in a quarterly view, with individual postcode searches over a 6 month or 12 month period.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-16 18:03:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks - might be worth adding as a comment on the BB Maps.

Would then avoid uncertainty.
Standard User watsonm
(newbie) Thu 08-Sep-16 21:14:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew...

Print Thread

Jump to