General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Binary_Digit
(learned) Sun 25-Sep-16 11:42:41
Print Post

Xbox / Apple servers slow or it is my ISP?

[link to this post]

As per title... Had HyperOptic installed 2 weeks ago with their 1Gb product. My iMac is wired sees around 800 Mbps most days (plus or minus 50Mbps) and my Xbox One is also connected via Ethernet. The internal test on it showed it sees around 300 Mbps.

Having recently been updating my iMac and downloading several games from the Xbox store i notice that they are getting really slow speeds. For example Xbox downloads are always around 2-3 Mb/s and Apple store downloads are about 4-5 Mb/s. So literally both are never above 40 Mbps.

Is this the i assume the American Servers of both Apple or Microsoft that are the issue or is it HyperOptic and how they connect/peer to the servers wether they be American links or i assume at leat one of them has by now has European servers.

Anyone else (on other ISP's) find these servers never give above 40 Mbps?

Edited by Binary_Digit (Sun 25-Sep-16 11:49:25)

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Sep-16 21:13:13
Print Post

Re: Xbox / Apple servers slow or it is my ISP?

[re: Binary_Digit] [link to this post]

During my use of 1gbit links during work i have noticed a lot of servers have a cap. At speeds over 500mbit you really start to see either server speed caps or congestion on the net itself or something. Probably the first. I have encountered it on super fast connections from different providers. Shouldn't really matter tho. At the speeds you do get. Always still very fast, faster than most peoples fibre your going to get your content or download in no time anyway.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 25-Sep-16 21:59:07
Print Post

Total transatlantic capacity in 2013 was 23Tbps (see Table 1). Allowing for 25% growth per annum, it may be around 45Tbps today. How much of that capacity do you want for your personal use?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Mon 26-Sep-16 15:34:55
Print Post

Hi there, have you contacted our CS team to see if there was anything configuration-wise that we could do to improve things for you? -> support@hyperoptic.com

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 16:20:57
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

I don't have an Xbox but I would love your 1Gbps service. I wouldn't moan either! smile
Standard User aparat
(regular) Mon 26-Sep-16 18:29:46
Print Post

On my 80Mb connection its same 40, 50 or 60 mb /s download from Xbox.
Must be at Live servers then Im afffraid
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 23:07:23
Print Post

[re: aparat] [link to this post]

The new Forza and Fifia games I just saw on the TV won't help frown
Standard User Callumpy
(learned) Tue 27-Sep-16 10:53:29
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I've never seen a download go above 40Mbps on my Xbox One, and they typically sit around 3 - 5Mbps anyway.

It's not your connection, Xbox LIVE seems to have some sort of cap.

Modem: Huawei HG612 3B -- Unlocked SP08 Firmware w/ BLOB A2pv6C038m.d24j
Router: TP-Link WR1043ND -- OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 15.05.1

Current Connection: BT Infinity 2 (80/20)
Previous Connection: BE Pro (24/2.5) -- Left because of Sky takeover.

MyDSLWebStats (Callumpy) | MyGamerProfile
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Sep-16 12:24:45
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I don't have an Xbox but I would love your 1Gbps service. I wouldn't moan either! smile
Sadly if you don't live in blocks of flats in an area they are rolling out in, you have no chance in getting it.

They will only install in blocks of flats that have loads of interests (i.e. 12 to 20 homes might be more) and new builds where there is loads of new houses being built.

Nope its 80 homes required, here is from an email I was sent from them a while ago.

We do not rely on existing infrastructure and we install our own from end to end. In regards to the installations as a business we target either high-rise apartment buildings or large developments with multiple dwellings. We would be looking at a minimum of 80 flats so as to make our installation feasible.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Tue 27-Sep-16 12:27:54)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-16 14:51:02
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In our case, a development with 75 low rise properties, flats and house, Hyperoptic were certainly interested although never consistent as to the contribution they required us to make On occasion they said none was needed on others a sum in the order of £20K. As you are probably aware, and for a number of reasons, the property owners chose instead to go with BT.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to