General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User maxrebo
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-16 11:54:22
Print Post

Terrible Line speed in New build

[link to this post]

Hi,
I have recently moved in to a new build and after my line has been activated by BT i checked my line speed and..OMG!.
0.82mbps download!
How can a new estate be built and not cater for High speed broadband!. (A quick search on the internet and this seems to be a common thing)
Anyway, it is what it is, now for doing something about it! (or at least trying).
Where to start is my first question, how do you go about getting BT to even consider upgrading the line into our estate?

Regards

Edited by maxrebo (Wed 05-Oct-16 11:57:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Oct-16 12:37:40
Print Post

Re: Terrible Line speed in New build

[re: maxrebo] [link to this post]

Consideration of upgrade should have been dealt with by the developer before the foundations were laid.

Now a lot will depend on what local authority is in your area, and whether the lines are in scope for the BDUK projects.

Where a developer is still building then they might be willing to work with http://www.communityfibre.bt.com/ and pay some money to get better speeds to the estate, residents can also club together if willing to subsidise the roll-out.

Another option is alternate providers such as IFNL, Virgin Media and others.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User maxrebo
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-16 12:46:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, they are still building on the estate and planning permission has been submitted to build on another area 100m away.

Where would be the best to start, contact the LA and see what plans are in place? (if any)
Go to the local papers?
The site manager has already informed me that "its nothing to do with <developer>

I have read on the web that fees of up to £20k are mentioned if residents plan to fund it themselves!, where does that figure come from?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Oct-16 12:50:42
Print Post

Figures of £20k to £30k come from other areas that have used the community scheme themselves.

As for the developer clearly you have an old school one, since there are schemes to deliver FTTP to estates if a developer engages with Openreach. Though there is no law that says they have to do anything, hence why you got the minimum the law requires at present i.e. a copper telephone line.

What local authority and a sample postcode for the estate?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Oct-16 12:50:48
Print Post

It is everything to do with the developer. They arrange the services that will be delivered to the site - they had the option to include fibre options and have presumably decided not to as it would have cost them money.

Too late now but this is the sort of thing you really need to confirm with developers before signing on the dotted line.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Oct-16 13:02:44
Print Post

Apart from anything else, have you tried the Quiet Line Test on your phone line etc.

Fundamental that you should have a clean phone line, whether ancient or modern, for any xDSL use.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Oct-16 13:03:00
Print Post

What does the estimates table from this checker tell us?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User maxrebo
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-16 13:09:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does the estimates table from this checker tell us?

Its too new to check, think it takes 24hrs for new numbers to appear
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Wed 05-Oct-16 13:18:01
Print Post

Hi Maxrebo

Not sure if you've had the chance to check out Hyperoptic yet - we work with many developers to install fibre in new builds so residents can access 1Gb speeds on the day they move in. You can check availability of 1Gb speeds via our map here -> https://www.hyperoptic.com/map/.

If your development isn't showing, please drop us a DM with your address and we'll investigate further.

Best wishes

Ana

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or by email to support@hyperoptic.com
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Oct-16 13:32:59
Print Post

Address should still work

Given an exchange name and cabinet number myself and others on here can do some hunting around

Edited by MrSaffron (Wed 05-Oct-16 13:33:34)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to