General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 961a
(member) Thu 06-Oct-16 10:02:25
Print Post

BT v Sky.

[link to this post]

I see the endless arguments between Sky and BT show no sign of resolving

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/05/bt-ch...

What use are more Sky engineers since they can't work on the Openreach network?

Is the Telegraph story true?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-16 10:07:17
Print Post

Re: BT v Sky.

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

My presumption is that just like the TalkTalk BrightSpark engineers they'll resolve internal wiring, fix faceplates etc

What are the odds that the Sky engineers will be dish installers with a few days training

Though that is something that phone support should have been guiding people to do i.e. show if fault exists using test socket and if not suggest a local engineer.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Thu 06-Oct-16 10:10:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I just wish they would all be trained in everything. Nothing worse than a Broadband engineer coming out only to be told that a phone engineer needs to/should have come out first!

Ive had that twice in the past.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 06-Oct-16 10:13:43
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Ive had that twice in the past.
With which ISP?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Oct-16 10:32:18
Print Post

Is the Telegraph story true?
I don't think it is true. By that I mean the Sky reason given and the BT Consumer response are both untrue.
The head of BT’s consumer business has launched a scathing attack on Sky, accusing his rival of “cynicism”, "lies" and “sinking to a new low”, after it emerged it cut its costs on broadband by choosing a slower network repair service.

The decision by Sky was discovered by The Daily Telegraph in Ofcom documents.

The company has downgraded its contract with BT Openreach, the regulated monopoly that owns and runs the national telecoms network, so that broadband customers reporting a fault on their line get an engineer visit within two days rather than one.

John Petter, the chief executive of BT’s consumer business, which is also an Openreach customer, attacked the move in outspoken comments that highlight telecoms industry bitterness amid the debate over the future of Britain’s broadband infrastructure.
Since when has either provided a one-day service for consumer level broadband faults?

As for the jobs the Sky "engineers" will be doing, did they really call out Openreach at Sky's expense for customers' internal wiring work and checks? On a one-day response contract?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Thu 06-Oct-16 11:17:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BT
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Oct-16 11:29:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Both sides probably have some basis in truth, but once spun out things often make little or no sense when trying to score points.

Perhaps Ofcom should have made the fault levels it requires of Openreach to be much more stringent in the first place and allowed for a larger engineering workforce in how pricing was set-up.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 06-Oct-16 11:35:28
Print Post

We know there is no guaranteed one-day response, and I'd be very surprised if Sky previously had a no-charge to the customer (even two-day)callout of Openreach to premises-internal issues.

It all has to be garbage.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 06-Oct-16 11:35:54)

Standard User 961a
(member) Thu 06-Oct-16 12:05:36
Print Post

In the small village where I lived until recently I was well aware that if I reported a broadband fault to BT I could usually rely on an engineer within two days. Neighbours with Sky and TalkTalk often waited a week.

I always put this down to the time it took the ISP to report the fault to Openreach never having realised the ISP could opt for different service levels from Openreach

It's a bit like poor speeds at peak times caused by ISP not paying for enough bandwidth

Lots of things we don't know in the relationship between these organisations
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Oct-16 12:42:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by 961a:
In the small village where I lived until recently I was well aware that if I reported a broadband fault to BT I could usually rely on an engineer within two days. Neighbours with Sky and TalkTalk often waited a week.

With Sky and TT I've had engineers within 24 hours. I have never waited a week with any ISP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to