General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sheephouse
(newbie) Fri 07-Oct-16 12:57:15
Print Post

Fastershire

[link to this post]

I'm in the Fastershire BDUK area, and for the past year or two I've been pestering them every few months for an update on their plans for my area. They usually fob me off with a "can't comment on commercially sensitive plans" or "its being reviewed" answer.

However, I've been unable to get any response from them since April, when they told me "Phase 1 of our project has now been completed in your area and we are moving into phase 2 of the rollout to further increase broadband coverage. As your property was not covered under phase 1 it will be considered under this next phase."

Their web site has not been updated for 23 weeks, and all I get in response to e-mails is the "we aim to respond within 10 working days" automatic response.

Has anyone else had any contact with Fastershire since April? Are they still active?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tim
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 07-Oct-16 13:21:34
Print Post

Re: Fastershire

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

The procurement process to secure a supplier to deliver phase 2 in the Forest of Dean was launched on Monday 8 August. The deadline for bids is Friday 14 October and we hope to be in contract with the successful supplier by Christmas 2016.

Due to the specific funding procured for this area, suppliers are required to provide ultrafast broadband and it is our aspiration is to contract 100% of the remaining premises, but is dependent on bids received.

We hope to update on the outcome of the tender process in November 2016.

Covers areas of Cinderford, Coleford, Drybrook, Longhope, Lydbrook, St.Briavels and Whitecroft not upgraded to faster broadband in Phase 1

Area 3 (A-E) & 4: The rest of the Gloucestershire and the rest of Herefordshire

Area 3 has been subdivided into five smaller areas and the procurement process to select a supplier to deliver area 3 and 4 launched on Monday 19 September.

The deadline for this is Friday 25 November and it is anticipated that we will sign a contract for these areas in January 2017.
Link.
Cllr Mark Hawthorne, leader of Gloucestershire County Council, said: “Fastershire’s partnership with Gigaclear is making superb progress in the Cotswolds. The rollout of ultrafast broadband is already bringing considerable benefits residents and businesses and is well on target to complete by summer 2017.”

Fastershire appointed Gigaclear as delivery partner for this phase in June, and the rollout budget includes £3m from the Fastershire project and £7m from Gigaclear. It was the first investment by a national fibre broadband project to be awarded to any other bidder than BT in the UK.

Joe Frost, Business Development Director at Gigaclear, said: “The pure fibre network is transforming rural communities, giving them the best broadband connection available. We’re now on the home straight for completing the project on time and on budget and are looking forward to thousands more properties being connected by the end of 2017.”
Link.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User sheephouse
(newbie) Fri 07-Oct-16 14:30:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the links, at least there are some dates to look forward to there (although they seem to be later than the dates suggested previously).

However, I'm not sure what area I'm in - I'm in the Forest of Dean, but not any of the areas mentioned. The fibre roll-out for my area (Netherend exchange) is "complete" - apart from the EO lines. Any idea whether EO lines are included in the tender?

I am aware that Fastershire are doing a very good job rolling out Gigabit broadband to the Costwolds, but I'd really appreciate something better than ADSL Max Premium!

Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 07-Oct-16 15:23:14
Print Post

I suggest you keep an eye on there though. I started from the "About us" tab on the Fastershire Home Page, with the fist sub-entry there being the News page, (my second link), and from there got to the page in my first link.

I see there is a "Dashboard" entry for Phase 1. Presumably once anything happens on Phase 2 they will add one for that.

Also you now have some current facts to base queries to them on. Such as the specific question you asked me.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 07-Oct-16 19:22:36
Print Post

You could try Gigaclear post code search.

I would ring Gigaclear and try to get the email address of the project engineer.

Laying fibres can takes months and there will be road works, so it fairly obvious as to what is happening.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to