General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mucron
(regular) Thu 13-Oct-16 12:50:46
Print Post

ADSL upload speeds ?

[link to this post]

Does anyone on here Know why upload speeds are around .36 to .38 regardless of the download speed being poor 1mb or less or reasonable like my own 6.9mb . It seems a poor quality line can upload as fast as a good quality line
Standard User lee111s
(experienced) Thu 13-Oct-16 12:54:55
Print Post

Re: ADSL upload speeds ?

[re: Mucron] [link to this post]

On standard vanilla ADSL the max connection rate is 448kbps. On some variants of ADSL2/2+ you can get up to around 1.3meg connection rate.

There was for a short time some version of SDSL which was basically the same speed up and down.

I think mainly though it was driven by consumer use at the time the standards were designed i.e people were only really bothered about downloading not so much uploading back then.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 13-Oct-16 13:05:53
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
On standard vanilla ADSL the max connection rate is 448kbps. On some variants of ADSL2/2+ you can get up to around 1.3meg connection rate.
In the UK there is an option on ADSL for 832kbps upstream. Not all ISPs offer it.

Similarly on ADSL2+ there is an option for "up to" 2.5Mbps upstream. Which is normally not worthwhile if the downstream is below 16Mbps. It requires Annex M to be activated. "Be" used to offer it and I think BT Wholesale now do to their customers (the ISPs).

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Oct-16 13:13:43
Print Post

On why upload stays fairly consistent, it is because it uses the lower frequencies of the signal and these can travel further down the copper wire.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Oct-16 14:48:13
Print Post

Cuz you are running over BT's implementation of ADSL (G.dmt), called ADSL Max, which has a max. upload of 448 K as opposed to the standard ADSL (G.dmt) which can go up to 1.3 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to