General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sat 22-Oct-16 18:05:18
Print Post

Latest BT scam calls use Anydesk freeware

[link to this post]

Following recent TBB posts regarding fraudulent phone calls “from BT” our community groups have notified three scams based on the Anydesk remote computer freeware and targeting BT BB and phone customers during the past 10 days.

In each case the subscribers, all elderly people, received a phone call from callers with Indian accents, claiming to be 'BT Support' and warning of malware on their computer. 'BT support' would fix this provided the subscriber clicked their link to install Anydesk. 'Support' assured them that this action would ensure their safety particularly if they used internet banking … you can guess the rest. Fortunately our friends remembered our warnings and disconnected before malware could be installed, but the experience has been upsetting for them.

What's really nasty is that all three subscribers had recently received genuine emails from the genuine BT, advising that their email database may have been hacked and warning that all passwords should be changed. Of course nobody would suggest that there could be any connection between the many BT scams from India and BT's call centre and data processing units in India.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Oct-16 18:23:29
Print Post

Re: Latest BT scam calls use Anydesk freeware

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

How do you click a link on a phone call?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(committed) Sat 22-Oct-16 20:43:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry, I should have spelled this out: "Support" instructs the victim to go to his/her computer and tells them how to download Anydesk, after which presumably the scammer gets to work. I don't know exact details but I'm told that Anydesk is aware of the scam and has placed a warning on their download site.

Our group members are told (1) banks NEVER ring you up (2) BT NEVER ring you up (3) Microsoft NEVER ring you up. This simple warning seems to have paid off.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Oct-16 21:57:25
Print Post

Well cold calling is just one method these scammers use
The have things like fake popups that will give a free number to call, they claim to be Microsoft certified technicians , and once remotely connected to a victims PC they will run several windows commands. like net stat and built-in utilities like event viewer ,Ms config etc and basically lie about things , in a bid to get you to by one of their service plans , & of course grabbing all card details there are many videos on youtube where people have a virtual machine and will ring these numbers of known scammers from the fake popups , and pretend to know nothing about their PC, (act dumb) and waist their time, Recently the police in India raided some scamming call centres and made some arrests , the tip of a very big iceburg

Fake pop up alert from a scam company
Virus total report for pop up ,( clean)
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Oct-16 05:36:21
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I used to get loads of those "Microsoft Scams" but as soon as I hear "your machine is infected" I respond with, "No you not from Microsoft and your certainly not getting my credit card details" and they either just hang up of say a few bad words and then hang up.

What people need to realise about the Microsoft Scams is that Microsoft would never have your phone number, so just treat them as a scam and just hang up.

Its the same with the PPI, Accident, Survey or the "Congratulations you have won ..." scams, just say that your not interested and hang up, never and I say never give them any more information.

Its the same sort with most of the surveys you get on the streets.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Oct-16 13:08:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I followed one of these through obviously knowing what was happening. My machine had just been formatted. For my own joke I had a file on my desktop called "bank passwords.txt" to see if they opened it.

They asked me to download some remote access software

They remoted into my pc & opened up event viewer. They told me these were all the errors my pc was accumulating and needed to be fixed before my computer broke.

They sent me to go into my online banking. I logged in but disconnected their remote software as I did so.

When he came back he remoted into my Santander and initiated a transfer to a U.K. Bank account.

He said we are only taking £6 but quickly typed £600 and hit next. He said the zeros were the pennies. He then said I would receive a text and to enter the code and they would take £6 to fix my pc. Had I been stupid I would have been £600 down if I had entered the two factor code.

So that's what they do, try to get a few hundred out of you. As you've entered the second factor I don't think you'd get the money back.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 23-Oct-16 13:09:50)

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Oct-16 15:58:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
Our group members are told (1) banks NEVER ring you up (2) BT NEVER ring you up (3) Microsoft NEVER ring you up. This simple warning seems to have paid off.

Whilst this is a good warning unfortunately, as far as 1) & 2) go, this is simply not true!!

I've certainly lost count of the number of times the Bank has tried to contact me (unexpected Call, from a "Number Withheld") & they get very shirty when I refuse to give them any information whatsoever!!

Obviously all I do is inform them that I will separately call into the Bank (on a separate Telephone) to establish what the issue is. If they like they can give me a Reference or Contact Name - invariably they will say that they won't provide that until I've "cleared-security"!

On one occasion, the Bank Official concerned actually had the cheek to write on my A/C Notes that I had REFUSED to comply with the Bank]s Security Procedures!!

Strangely enough, when challenged, they could NOT supply a copy of the cited Security Procedures that required the Customer to supply any form of Security Responses to an Unknown Person who was UNABLE to verify that they were a legitimate Bank Official!

Regards,
John
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Oct-16 16:09:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
I don't know exact details but I'm told that Anydesk is aware of the scam and has placed a warning on their download site.

I couldn't find anything (about this specific warning) on the Anydesk Web-Site - if it is there, it is certainly not obvious!!

After a lot of looking around, all I could find was this:-
Please be very careful when handing out your password or allowing a connection to your machine. Always double-check when a third party contacts you and demands your AnyDesk Address. We (AnyDesk Software) will never ask for your ID or password and legitimate companies will never contact you without you having initiated the communication first. In case you are seeking the help of a pc repair service, please make sure you know the vendor.

All this is indicating is that you should never give out the password, etc (assuming that you have intentionally loaded it) - it does NOT provide any warning about it being loaded by scammers!

Having said that, a victim of a scammer is unlikely to be even looking at the Anydesk Web-Site whilst in conversation with a scammer!!!

Regards,
John
(committed) Sun 23-Oct-16 17:02:21
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Having said that, a victim of a scammer is unlikely to be even looking at the Anydesk Web-Site whilst in conversation with a scammer!!!

If you have another look at my original post, this is exactly what happened. An elderly lady, already worried by a genuine BT warning to change her email password, next day received a call from a scammer purporting to be BT Support, agreed to download Anydesk and was shown a 'virus warning' inserted by the scammer. Fortunately she uses her BB for family purposes and has no financial info online, but she is very upset and says she feels violated. I post this simply as a heads-up to yet another scam variant.

Many older people (myself included) have difficulty understanding what to us is still new-fangled technology. After all, it's only five years or so since the smartphone came into general use. Hence our general warning, there is no point in trying to explain the multitude of scams to many seniors. Sorry you had trouble with your bank, so far our group has found the banks and utilities quite co-operative though we realise we are fortunate in this, other associations have difficulty. In fairness to BT, our association has found they act swiftly on faults reported on behalf of a subscriber registered with them as vulnerable.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Oct-16 21:51:19
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
They sent me to go into my online banking. I logged in but disconnected their remote software as I did so.

When he came back he remoted into my Santander and initiated a transfer to a U.K. Bank account.

He said we are only taking £6 but quickly typed £600 and hit next. He said the zeros were the pennies. He then said I would receive a text and to enter the code and they would take £6 to fix my pc. Had I been stupid I would have been £600 down if I had entered the two factor code.

The last scammer who rang me tried this. I was surprised he only wanted £7 for 3 years "support", but eventually he took me to my bank's website. This time though, he got me to remote control HIS PC, and log in to my bank on HIS browser. He was most likely going to monitor my login on his PC so he could login himself later on. Or maybe try the "00 for pennies trick" you got.

I'm amazed you let him log in to your online bank account though, I terminated the call at the bank login screen.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to