General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-16 08:05:36
Print Post

Nuisance Calls... again :(

[link to this post]

I'm on TalkTalk and registered with TPS who are absolutely useless. I used to get 100s of cold calls a week until I installed a CPR Call Blocker which drastically reduced the number of calls by over 95% once I had it trained.

My problem now is "Out of Area" Calls which start about 8am and persist through the day unitl around 10pm. I've had up to 20 a day. They go to my answering machine and the caller hangs up as soon as the machine kicks in. These ase incredibly annoying.

Is there any way to stop/block theee calls?

As an aside I have over 150 blocked numbers on my iPhone!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 29-Oct-16 08:21:23
Print Post

Re: Nuisance Calls... again :(

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

Truecall intercepts callers and asks them to say their name and press a key before putting them through.
You are then asked if you want to take the call.
Does the CPR do this?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Oct-16 08:24:04
Print Post

Though by the sounds of it not as severe an issue as yours, was getting around 3 or 4 a day ....

I got a BT8600 call blocker phone which uses True Call and have not had a single unwanted call since.

Input your 'VIP' callers (those numbers you'd store on your phone anyway) these callers ring straight through. Any others are greeted by a recorded message asking them to announce themselves , if they do nothing, the call is instantly blocked, (the handset hasn't rung your end yet BTW) then the phone rings and announces whose calling, you can answer, block or tell to leave a message.

Other settings include being able to block all international calls, or withheld numbers.

It is also a 'nice' handset, easy to use, good answerphone. Money very well spent in my book.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Oct-16 08:28:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Does the CPR do this?

No, but can get your heart going again grin

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 29-Oct-16 12:40:32
Print Post

I usually report nuisance calls to ICO as well. TPS are not as effective as they might be.

Our useless MPs have at last gotten around to allowing the assets of the directors of companies, responsible for such calls, to be seized next year. Hopefully this will lead to a reduction in the number of calls.

Michael Chare
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Oct-16 12:47:59
Print Post

Another vote for True Call or the BT phone model(s) that incorporate the technology.You can always give friends and family a code to bypass it if they are likely to try and call you from an unknown or blocked number.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Oct-16 13:28:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Had one for years - It will also Zap International withheld numbers, something the paid for BT withheld number blocker cannot do, and will even send a dead line tone to those pesky sales calls. The box far far better than the phone with built in Truecall. Far far more numbers can be blocked and far more options. Control by a web interface that shows all calls for the last year. Would never be without it and the life with no sales calls.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 29-Oct-16 13:29:33)

Standard User BXW
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-16 16:40:29
Print Post

I have found going ex-directory is a great help. Many foreigners go through the directories line by line until some mug answers and ask to speak to the person listed. There are two levels of ex-directory. One is to never reveal a number, the other is to give the number to those who pay to call a directory service. Select the second.
Standard User 69bertie
(regular) Sat 29-Oct-16 19:59:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Sounds a very interesting device. I must admit I don't get many nuisance calls now, ever since I went totally mobile. Maybe one every six months. Any numbers I want to block are done via the antivius tools. The landline I gave up using a couple of years ago. It's not even plugged in.

One thing I do think would be much better for all is if the user of a number had much better access controls. Like blocking all or part international calls. After all, I would only ever want to receive from 3 countries, where I have family members. The rest of the world I would block. I really wouldn't miss any calls from them. Same with withheld numbers.

Given how computer controlled the telephone network is nowadays, there really isn't any excuse for not given the user that access, free of charge. You could then input numbers you'd like to receive calls from etc etc. But then the phone companies have a vested interest in you taking the call. Maybe time was called on the control.

Print Thread

Jump to