General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Dazzatar74
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-16 15:51:09
Print Post

Do different suppliers supply FTTC via different cabinets?

[link to this post]

Ok apologies if this has been asked before and bear with me on this...

I have been provided with FTTC broadband by Sky for 12 months and have happily enjoyed 26Mbps download speeds (I know, I'm easily pleased 😂). Well the contract has come to an end and I'm trying to shop around for a better deal... only everyone else's (BT, Talk Talk, Vodafone, Plusnet etc, etc... I tried them all!) website says that they can't provide me with Fibre!!??

Not happy with this answer as I'm already connected with Fibre, I consulted the Openreach website which says hooray I can get fibre from cabinet 89!

When I go back to Vodafone & start an online chat, my friendly advisor confuses me even more by saying that they provide Fibre in my area but due to distance from exchange/cabinet, my post code is not eligable? Then she informs me that I can get FTTC but it will only provide 2 - 3 Mbps downloads! Both she and I are at a complete loss as to how Vodafone FTTC is so much slower than my current Sky FTTC? Could it be that they are looking to supply my from a different cabinet that's further away? Why can't any other providers just take up where Sky leave off... surely if the cabling is there for Sky to provide me with 26mbps then it's there for others to utilise too?

Sorry I'm new and don't really understand the problem, I'm just getting really frustrated and feel like I'm continually beating me head against a brick wall, thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Dazzatar74 (Mon 07-Nov-16 15:59:04)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 07-Nov-16 15:55:11
Print Post

Re: FTTC

[re: Dazzatar74] [link to this post]

What does te BT checker at : http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome give?

Copy and paste the results whilst removing the last few digits of your phone number. Or if you have image hosting available, a link to a screen shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Nov-16 16:01:32
Print Post

Re: Do different suppliers supply FTTC via different cabinet

To answer the cabinets - no they all use the same cabinets.

It is possible the cabinet is at capacity temporarily hence posting the full text from the linked checker may help us to explain situation

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Nov-16 16:10:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Phone number might not work if with Sky....

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Dazzatar74
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-16 16:14:43
Print Post

Thanks for reply... Ok so there's no data for the phone line (??) So I've run a check on the address... how do I upload a screenshot?? lol

Here's copy n paste:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availibility Date

WBC SOGEA Availibility Date

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 79.4 60 20 20 -- 08-Nov-16 --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 66.6 35 20 10.6 -- 08-Nov-16 --
ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available --
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available --
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- 08-Nov-16 --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -
Standard User Dazzatar74
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-16 16:25:44
Print Post

Re: Do different suppliers supply FTTC via different cabinet

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok here's link to screenshot of address results as phone line didn't provide a result:

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4532/k3lnqxv5_jpg...

Edited by Dazzatar74 (Mon 07-Nov-16 16:30:21)

Standard User Dazzatar74
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-16 16:33:42
Print Post

Here's a link to results from address checker as phone line didn't provide a result:

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4532/k3lnqxv5_jpg...
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 07-Nov-16 16:44:54
Print Post

That is suggesting you will be able to get a good connection although the address checker does not always allow for the occasional convoluted wiring. Surprised that you are only seeing 26Mbps from Sky as I would have expected more.

The 8 November suggests that the cabinet is full and another card is to be added "tomorrow" ... That may be the reason others were suggesting the 2Mbps availability.

M H C

Standard User Dazzatar74
(newbie) Mon 07-Nov-16 17:06:04
Print Post

Yeah I was expecting more too... but anything's better than the 0.5Mbps we had before fibre!
I spotted the 8th November too, does this mean if I get back to the Vodafone, Talk Talk etc websites, say on Wednesday, then they'll be able to offer me fibre? That's the way I see it... or am I hoping for too much?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 07-Nov-16 17:11:39
Print Post

A lot will depend on how often they update their systems.

Openreach will install a new card (if that is what the date means) and then once tested and confirmed operational the site will be updated. How long ISPs take to grab the updates ... is up to them.

Realistically, you are probably looking at Wednesday before it has filtered through to some.

Are you able to get your router stats - Attenuation, SNR, Max Achievable for both up and down?

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to