General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 0random0
(newbie) Sun 13-Nov-16 18:21:53
Print Post

Packet loss

[link to this post]

Hello i just need some advice really, i posted a while about packet loss with my new provider origin broadband

I switched from bt about 2 months ago while i was bt i had no problems with the actual broadband but changed due to other issues. I did reasearch and decided to go with origin (local to me) i use a wired connection for everything too btw and have tried new routers.

Since changing my download speeds dont seem to be amazing but the really problen im having is packet loss. Only use my broadband for gaming and it is effecting it. This has been for about a month now, isp told me to download win mtr and ive sent them all the info and it shows packet loss at almost every step apart from my router. They said they will look into it, a week or 2 later they wernt satisfied and wanted tests run from the cmd. This showed losses of 6-7%. An engineer has finally come out and has tested my line and equipment and said theres nothing wrong from my side but said line attenuation was a bit high and he will sort this at the exchange. This has been done but still hasnt changed anything apart from slowing my download speed. I called the isp again and there exact words were the engineer is a lier and it will has to be escalated to level too. After explaining i am getting sick off trying to sort this he kinda said he can only escalate it.

Is there a point were they have to fix it or let me change provider due to not getting the quality of service expected. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Nov-16 18:44:04
Print Post

Re: Packet loss

[re: 0random0] [link to this post]

The run to the exchange is just a mere fraction of the distance the data travels to the first hop beyond the router, so problem may be nothing to do with the broadband itself at all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 0random0
(newbie) Sun 13-Nov-16 18:49:09
Print Post

0random0

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Would it have been the same with my previous provider though? Or could it be something to do with the exchange. Like i say it run perfect before but since changing it is impossible to game without lag spukes and from graphs while the games are running its all down to the packets.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Nov-16 18:53:38
Print Post

Re: 0random0

Could be the exchange kit, could be something in the backhaul the ISP uses or could be the xDSL line itself, the DSL line has its various stats and measures and if these are pretty much the same as before it suggests the xDSL is fine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Sun 13-Nov-16 19:15:15
Print Post

Re: Packet loss

Are you using their default router? The DSL-N16.

I've recently joined origin and i must say the router they send out is very tweakable. You can alter the SNR plus a few other things.

Router stats would be nice also. Are you using ADSL or a fibre product?
Standard User 0random0
(newbie) Sun 13-Nov-16 19:19:54
Print Post

0random0

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Yes i am the exact router. I bought a new router. Different brand to make sure it wasnt and got the same results and ADSL. Cant get fibre here and how would i get router stats. Bit of a newb when looking into router settings
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Sun 13-Nov-16 19:26:43
Print Post

Sure.

Go to the router page in your browser, In the top right corner you will see a globe looking thing (Below the language options) Click on it and go to dsl log.

Copy and paste the page that comes up.

Or try the link below. That should take you to it, as we do have the same router and all.

http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/Main_AdslStatus_Content.asp
Standard User 0random0
(newbie) Sun 13-Nov-16 19:42:02
Print Post

Doesnt seem to copy right the top are downstream and the botm and upstream

DSL Information
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.2.3_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2
DSL Link Status
up
DSL Uptime 0 days 1 hours 10 minutes 2 seconds
DSL Modulation
ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
ANNEX Mode
ANNEX A
DSL Exchange(DSLAM)
Broadcom
Current Profile
N/A
Line Stats
Downstream Upstream
TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)
On

On
SNR Margin
12.1 dB

9.1 dB
Line Attenuation
22.6 dB

12.0 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved

Interleaved
Interleave Depth

Data Rate
11270 kbps

949 kbps
MAX Rate
16164 kbps

936 kbps
POWER
19.2 dbm

11.3 dbm
INP
1.9 symbols

2.0 symbols
CRC

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Sun 13-Nov-16 20:08:36
Print Post

Your SNR is a little high. You can manually change that yourself, if you mess anything up a simple reset of the router will revert all changes, though you will need to input your PPP username and password again if you choose to reset the router.

I'm not 100% sure what Interleave Depth means. All i can tell you is my own is at 64. I'm not sure if higher means better either, an experienced member of the forums will have to help you there.

If you are interested in changing this SNR.

Click on "Administration" on the main router page
Go along to the "DSL setting"
You will see something called Dynamic Line Adjustment, Disable that.
Changing the option above will allow you to change the SNR.
Go to Stability Adjustment (ADSL). - numbers will raise the SNR + will decrease. Your's is currently at 12db. I suggest clicking the +3. That should change it to 9, once settings have been applied. If all goes well raise it to 6. That'll change your SNR to 6db.
Set your Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment to stable aswell.

I've not had any problems changing these settings, as long as i don't go too low on the noise margin that is.

Only other thing i can think of is opening ports for whatever game your playing and throwing the console your playing on into DMZ. Though do your research on DMZ as it may open you to unwanted attention.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 13-Nov-16 20:13:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodmass14:
I'm not 100% sure what Interleave Depth means. All i can tell you is my own is at 64. I'm not sure if higher means better either, an experienced member of the forums will have to help you there.
Interleaving explanation.

Note, on FTTC the depth can be over a thousand.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 13-Nov-16 20:15:02)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to