General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Nov-16 01:03:23
Print Post

Openreach Employment - Board Level

[link to this post]

It seems that BT have appointed a "Chairman of the Board" for Openreach, choosing an ex-Ofcom-board member.

Interesting that they've chosen to go ahead with their own allocation here, even before Ofcom have decided what to do with Openreach.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Nov-16 08:52:12
Print Post

Re: Openreach Employment - Board Level

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

While Ofcom has announced legal separation a few hours later, there is a single olive branch being waved, but a large full split sat in the background, so Ofcom is seeing its legal separation as a middle ground already.

So new board is going to be busy, wonder if Sky or TalkTalk CEO will end up on it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Nov-16 09:27:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I believe the sad truth in all this is that what we'll end up with is an entirely toothless company trying to dance to the tune of too many taskmasters ...... and the only ones to suffer in the long term will be the public.

Everyone wants it as cheap as chips .... and low cost is NOT the way forward for a progressive telecoms infrastructure.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 29-Nov-16 12:39:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I believe the sad truth in all this is that what we'll end up with is an entirely toothless company trying to dance to the tune of too many taskmasters ...... and the only ones to suffer in the long term will be the public.

Everyone wants it as cheap as chips .... and low cost is NOT the way forward for a progressive telecoms infrastructure.

Totally agree with that. Everyone calls for upgrades and te fastest access but not prepared to pay for it - and OLOs are always demanding price cuts.

This is likely to backfire - extra costs within OR from the management side, a requirement to report to the Stock Exchange, potential for corporation tax ... and those will be passed on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Nov-16 13:15:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
While Ofcom has announced legal separation a few hours later, there is a single olive branch being waved, but a large full split sat in the background, so Ofcom is seeing its legal separation as a middle ground already.

I have to say that, once the July result was announced,I saw the remaining "full split" threat as one that Ofcom could not hope to action. They give the reasons for it themselves. I think it has turned into a non-threat.

Looking at the reactions today, I don't see that Ofcom have quite "announced" a legal separation yet either. Just that they've kicked off the next leg. But both Ofcom and BT say they're continuing to work towards an agreed solution

Ironically, kicking-off EU consideration of the "legal split" option makes me even more certain that the "full split" option is off the table.
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Tue 29-Nov-16 16:33:07
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

For those of us without Fibre BT/Openreach have done a poor job - maybe the future Openreach will be better.

Couldn't be any worse speed wise.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - small cabinet of fail
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Nov-16 17:59:17
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kebabselector:
For those of us without Fibre BT/Openreach have done a poor job - maybe the future Openreach will be better.

But at what cost.
Overall people as has been said, want more for less. Fine in area's with high populations. When you start getting out into the sticks. Then the cost starts to rocket.
So perhaps the option's for rural area's is not fibre, say, something like 4G.
Hell even some remote area's do not have mains water/gas/electric yet.....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Nov-16 19:14:13
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:
In reply to a post by kebabselector:
But at what cost.
Overall people as has been said, want more for less. Fine in area's with high populations.
What about Central London and Central Manchester, to my knowledge? Notably GEA-ignored until very recently.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15329kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 29-Nov-16 19:15:33)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 29-Nov-16 19:29:02
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

Certainly won't be worse speed wise but will only be better with more grant funding. Many of the areas left will never justify economic investment so if seperate will not justify borrowing money to do. I think that actually more likely to get the investment if it remains together as they will accept the USO and invest just to keep OFCOM off their backs.

Once seperate OFCOM won't have any levers left to make them invest especially with the price caps they have already placed on BB products ( RPI -x is not encouraging investment in marginal areas without subsidy)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Nov-16 19:53:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And alternates are making plenty of moves in central London, and its interesting hearing some of them speak about the wayleave issues and the time it takes to convince some landlords the difference a decent connection can make.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to