General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oldunclesilas
(newbie) Wed 07-Dec-16 14:21:26
Print Post

Anyone have a source/knowledge of what CW1308 actually specs

[link to this post]

I've been trying to find out what CW1308 actually specifies, and so far all I've found is it's a specification for telephone wiring that was originally the Post Office Cable and Wire specification 1308. Hundreds of sites claiming the cable they sell conforms to the Spec with little indication of what that entails. The quality seems to vary enormously, some tinned, some not, some clearly twisted, others not. As far as I can tell so far it doesn't seem to be any more than the diameter of the core and the colour coding. Does anyone have a source on the actual specification? Everyone on various forums seem pretty confident that you must use CW1308 but I've not found anyone who knows what it means so far. Thanks in advance!
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Dec-16 15:15:38
Print Post

Re: Anyone have a source/knowledge of what CW1308 actually s

[re: oldunclesilas] [link to this post]

Good question, but no direct answer.

The specifications probably mention things like capacitance, resistance, insulation type/thickness, water-repelling-gel, armour, etc. They might include the colours; if they include the core diameter, then it will be a number of options (both 0.4mm and 0.5mm meet CW1308). A lot of these will be included to differentiate the cable from other CW codes.

There's probably also mention of other environmental factors - such as low smoke for indoor cables, or high UV protection for outdoor cables.

SIN 352 talks about the access network in terms of impedance, insertion loss & frequency response. It wouldn't surprise me if CW1308 relied on the same characteristics.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Dec-16 16:32:37
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

This is all I could find on the RS Components site.

CW1308_2PR_100m.pdf
CW1308_3PR_100m.pdf
CW1308_4PR_100m.pdf
CW1308_6PR_100m.pdf
CW1308_10PR_100m.pdf
CW1308_12PR_100m.pdf
CW1308_25PR_100m.pdf

But they all seem very basic to me, so they are probably no good.

*** update ***
Just found this which also has capacitance on the Farnell site smile
CW1308_001.pdf

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 - 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up)
TBB Speedtest

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 07-Dec-16 16:40:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Dec-16 02:37:09
Print Post

[re: oldunclesilas] [link to this post]

Try this specification from BT Cables - http://www.btcables.com/documents/Internal-Cable-_Ce...

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
  Print Thread

Jump to