General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User paulywauly99
(newbie) Wed 07-Dec-16 17:54:13
Print Post

Correcting address on OpenReach database

[link to this post]

I would be eternally grateful if someone could explain how I can get Openreach to change the address on my records, which have an address which was allocated when the house was being built but which is very different now. BT Telecoms engineers cannot find the house and even when they did they could not help changing the address. Plusnet, my broadband provider, could only offer to put a note on the file. I am just about tearing my hair out with this. I have even found my way to the BT community forum but when I tried to register it didn't seem to work properly. When I tried again later at bt care community forums it said I was banned from the site, which is unlikley cos I don't think I've even used it - chance would be a fine thing.
Thanks in anticipation for any help with this. You'll also please the 3 BT engineers who perpetually get lost trying to find my house. I think there is a fourth lost somewhere in the Norfolk broads. If you're reading this mate, turn left past the King's Arms at Fleggburgh!
Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Dec-16 18:59:26
Print Post

Re: Correcting address on OpenReach database

[re: paulywauly99] [link to this post]

PlusNet should be doing it as they get paid to do it, but failing that email me andrew@thinkbroadband.com and will take a peek and then pass onto the right people in Openreach.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Dec-16 01:30:12
Print Post

[re: paulywauly99] [link to this post]

This is something that your ISP should arrange with Openreach.

Openreach have come up with stringent "address matching" rules that an ISP ought to have followed when they booked the service in the first place; these rules end up being based on either matching an address that they already supply, or falling back to the PAF (post office address file).

But all of these rules are things to be followed by their CP customers, not by you.

Some of the initial guidelines can be found in section 3 here:
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/downl...
That document defines some of the interaction that should go on between an ISP (aka "CP") and Openreach; note the mention of Gold, Silver, Bronze and Temporary addresses.

There is a more complete description of address matching hidden within Openreach's "Best Practice Guides" for their CPs. I found a copy here:
http://slidegur.com/doc/1336688/best-practice-guide-...

Your issue might be related to slide 10. Solution might come in slide 16 or 20, but slide 27 is probably most relevant.

In some of those slides, you'll see mention of an "Openreach Data Integrity" section, and robot. It might well be the ORDI team that needs to deal with your issue.

If Plusnet aren't playing ball, perhaps you will need to mention that you want to get the "Emergency Services Database" correct. It is one thing having Openreach engineers going missing, but quite another when that 999 ambulance gets lost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User paulywauly99
(newbie) Mon 19-Dec-16 12:27:22
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Many thanks to both you chaps for your help. To my great relief I have spoken to Plusnet and re-iterated the problem and luckily spoke to a problem solver who understood and changed the address while I was on the line! I can live on with the peace of mind that next time an engineer is called or if I have a heart attack then the relevant service will find me. I just hope an ambulance doesn't turn up next time my router goes down!
Many thanks once again for taking the trouble to point me in the right direction.
Have a good Christmas!
Paul

I used to have hair. Now I use myself as a solar panel.
  Print Thread

Jump to