General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Mon 12-Dec-16 23:41:11
Print Post

Router issue?

[link to this post]

Bit of an odd one this!

I always have RouterStats (lite version) running on my PC to keep an eye on things.
PC (Windows 10) wired connection to TP-Link TD-W8960N.

Usually pretty stable ADSL2+ connection (partial LLU Uno broadband). Around 11.8 mbps sync.

All of a sudden I've started to see RouterSats reporting what look like 5-10 minute disconnections (IE. Noise Margin and connection speed on the graphs drop to zero) several times a day. But strange thing is that I can still browse the internet etc. during these "outages"!!! When it comes back to life, the connection speed is identical (11,844kbps) so definitely not loosing sync, as you would think the speed would be slightly different (it always has been if it re-boots for say a power cut etc.).

So it looks like RouterStats has stopped communication with my router for some reason. Also if I try and go to the Routers home page during one of these apparent "outages" I can't connect and get it's home page up.

System has been fine for the last several months and nothing major has changed recently.

Tried re-booting PC. Still does it.
Re-booted Router and that "appeared" to fix it for a couple of days. But now it's back.
Tried a different port on the router. Still the same.
Installed latest copy of RouterStats lite and still the same.

Wondering if it's the Router showing the first stages of failing!

Very odd. Not sure if it's anything to worry about really?

Any suggestions / comments folks?

----
Mike
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Dec-16 11:38:54
Print Post

Re: Router issue?

[re: MrBeeline] [link to this post]

Can't help with the router, but...

IIRC, when routerstats shows a line dropping to zero, but puts it in a different colour, that means it failed to talk to the router. If the line stays the same colour, it has successfully talked to the router, which returned a zero as the result.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 11:47:32
Print Post

I always used to advise that if a router needed rebooting in order to keep a connection then it WAS the first signs of failure. You could, if possible swap it out and see if it still happens. People would rung up and say their router had started playing up after 3 years + of being "fine" - but that's a long time for a router to live in some cases.

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 13-Dec-16 11:48:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 18:12:43
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Can't help with the router, but...

IIRC, when routerstats shows a line dropping to zero, but puts it in a different colour, that means it failed to talk to the router. If the line stays the same colour, it has successfully talked to the router, which returned a zero as the result.

Thanks for the reply.

I did not know that about the colour change. I'll have a closer look when it next happens. My money is that for some reason RouterStats can't talk to the router.

----
Mike
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 18:19:08
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I always used to advise that if a router needed rebooting in order to keep a connection then it WAS the first signs of failure. You could, if possible swap it out and see if it still happens. People would rung up and say their router had started playing up after 3 years + of being "fine" - but that's a long time for a router to live in some cases.

Thanks for the reply.

This is the weird thing... Though Routerstats seems to be showing the line is down, I can still browse the Internet. In fact I was watching "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime video during one of these "outages" and did not notice any interruption. And when you can finally interrogate the Router, it does not report that there's been a re-sync.

I have taken your advice though and ordered up another Router (Billion 8800NL r2) as the one I'm using now is really my spare router anyway. And it's a fair few years old.

TBC as they say.

----
Mike
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Dec-16 18:30:54
Print Post

If your router is busy routeing, as when streaming, it quite possibly ignores ping requests and just doesn't respond to them.

Edit - if you paused the stream you would probably see DSLStats looking fine.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 48999/14363bps frown @ 600m. - IPv4

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 13-Dec-16 18:32:21)

Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 18:40:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If your router is busy routeing, as when streaming, it quite possibly ignores ping requests and just doesn't respond to them.

Edit - if you paused the stream you would probably see DSLStats looking fine.

Good thinking. But it's just done it now and all I'm doing is browsing the internet.

All the lines on the graphs have turned red and dropped to zero and while I can still carry on doing what ever I want, including a line speed test (and that runs just fine). But RouterStats still reporting zero noise margin / speed. Also can't access the router via it's home page, the request just times out. How weird is that.

It's just this second turned blue and gone back to reporting the connection info correctly. Looks like somethings FUBAR.

I'll see what happen when my new router comes tomorrow. TBC

----
Mike
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Dec-16 18:55:11
Print Post

How secure is your wifi?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User MrBeeline
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 21:37:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
How secure is your wifi?

WPA2 with a very secure PW.

But that's really only paranoia. As I live in the middle of nowhere. Nearest other property is literally miles away. Even the cows have been moved out of the fields and put into the barns for the winter. Though I did notice some of those pesky sheep have appeared in the field / hill behind us. No chance they are nicking my bandwidth is there?

Please excuse my sense of humour. It's been a very odd sort of day.

PS. I do appreciate your help though.

----
Mike
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Dec-16 21:44:10
Print Post

smile
I was just mind-connecting the possibility of someone streaming on it that you weren't aware of smile.

It needed ruling out.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to