General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 20-Dec-16 23:39:29
Print Post

BT/EE/PN broadbands top the complaints table, Q3 2016

[link to this post]

BT's broadband services received the most complaints during the third quarter of 2016, show figures from regulator Ofcom.

It received 36 complaints for every 100,000 broadband customers - higher than the industry average of 20.

BT-owned companies, Plusnet and EE, came second and third in the broadband complaints table.
Link.
The rankings come soon after BT chairman Sir Michael Rake said it had more work to do to improve customer service.

"We apologise to customers we've let down," said BT in a statement. "BT cares about the service it gives to customers and we know we need to do better."
Funny how it could get this bad if they care so much!

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/16208Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Dec-16 00:18:35
Print Post

Re: BT/EE/PN broadbands top the complaints table, Q3 2016

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Oddly the fact that TalkTalk and Sky have such low complaints suggests that maybe Openreach is not the root cause of the big difference that BT and Plusnet have, since its supposed to be equal treatment to all providers, and if anything plenty claim BT Consumer get favourable.

The data certainly suggests that the remedy is less to do with a seperate Openreach and more to do with how big providers differ in how they handle complaints.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Dec-16 06:29:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Couple of issues for me with these figures:

1) 36 out of 100,000 maybe above average but its still a very small percentage of complaints

2) How do we know these are genuine and not people for example moaning about wifi speeds when its their own internal wiring at fault?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Dec-16 07:56:30
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
How do we know these are genuine and not people for example moaning about wifi speeds when its their own internal wiring at fault?

I have no experience of BT as an ISP, but as a phone line provider they have no real customer care.

I can tell you EE have the worst customer care I have ever come across and Plusnet are pretty poor.

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Sky via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Dec-16 08:01:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The data certainly suggests that the remedy is less to do with a seperate Openreach and more to do with how big providers differ in how they handle complaints.

Perhaps it is just easy for ISPs to blame OR, but they certainly blame them a lot in my experience and their claims seem very plausible. It's a pity customers have no direct line to them to verify their complaints.

My latest example :-

"Checking our Supplier systems the phone service shows as being ceased, but the Broadband Asset is still showing active with Plusnet according to BT Wholesale."

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Sky via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Wed 21-Dec-16 08:04:45)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Dec-16 08:24:47
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
2) How do we know these are genuine and not people for example moaning about wifi speeds when its their own internal wiring at fault?

You would expect issues like that to be similar across ISPs so shouldn't massively weigh towards a single one.
Standard User georgelnx
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 09:00:42
Print Post

+1 million Andrew.

ISP's blame Openreach to cover their own incompetence as they know it can never be verified by the consumer.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Dec-16 09:53:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You would expect, but there may be demographics at play - i.e. people who believe you HAVE to buy from BT also being the least technically savvy too, thus more upset and likely to complain

NOTE: Not saying the BT level is good at all, but needs some more analysis as to root cause, i.e. classification of complaints as this would help to show the level that are down to the underlying common factor such as the local loop

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 12:06:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Oddly the fact that TalkTalk and Sky have such low complaints suggests that maybe Openreach is not the root cause of the big difference that BT and Plusnet have, since its supposed to be equal treatment to all providers, and if anything plenty claim BT Consumer get favourable.

Although not worth much smile my experience has shown me that there is no difference in connections between TT and BTO. It has to be down to the providers, but if BT have more compaints than PN that would suck because they charge in effect double what their cheaper arm does.

This is based on £22.50 for PN and £48,99 for BT for 80/20
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Dec-16 16:37:21
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Where are you seeing Plusnet is £22.50? Their standard pricing according to the website for 80/20 is £30 if you sign up to an 18 month contract which goes to £37.98 once 18 months is up (so standard price is £37.98 with £30 being a promotion).

BT aren't currently doing a promotion on Infinity 2 but they may well do again soon.

Also, existing customers pay varying levels so my current Infinity 2 carries a fairly decent discount which brings it to about the same as the current Plusnet promotion.

Headline figures mean little in the broadband world as many people are on special deals of one kind or another.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to