General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnq82
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-17 23:00:27
Print Post

Resync, new IP address, check IP city matches home address?

[link to this post]

When using whatismyipaddress.com and iplocation.net I have noticed tracking to my home address how does it do this? If I resync get a new IP address and either immediately or within hours these sites are updated with my home address! How is this possible and is I doing it for any other members?
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Jan-17 23:19:45
Print Post

Re: Resync, new IP address, check IP city matches home addre

[re: johnq82] [link to this post]

Not accurate for me and I have a static IP, and it ranges from London to Sheffield and other areas. Im in the North East.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User TrishaH
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Jan-17 23:50:21
Print Post

It tells me I'm in Sunbury on Thames, London, and Rochdale.

This one tells me I'm near Ladbroke Grove: https://www.where-am-i.net/

And Statcounter logs me as in Merton, Wimbledon.

I'm in the North East too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Jan-17 23:54:00
Print Post

What ISP are you using? An app on a modern phone with wifi and a GPS could be updating some central database - maybe?

Michael Chare
Standard User 10forcash
(regular) Mon 09-Jan-17 00:26:02
Print Post

At a guess, I'd say you're an asset of Google, possibly with an Android phone and a Gmail account, maybe using their DNS as well. That'd explain it.
My Latitude and Longitude
0.0, 0.0
My GPS Coordinates
0.0, 0.0
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 09:50:07
Print Post

Try turning off location information in your web browser, and not using Google while logged in

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User johnq82
(newbie) Tue 10-Jan-17 21:02:26
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks all for suggestions but using ISP DNS and I have my phone off. I get a new IP address and it knows my location immediately (sometimes bit takes a few days but recently immediately) - phone still off and into browser with everything reset beforehand. Beginning to think ISP may be sharing information even though i cant believe they would I can't think of any other way for it to do it so quickly. Will need a bigger data set to proof that though! Something isn't sitting right here.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 10-Jan-17 21:31:15
Print Post

You may be very close to a POP (Point of presence). A tracert by the tester to you is likely to pick up the final address, which will always be the same.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 10-Jan-17 21:31:37)

Standard User 10forcash
(regular) Tue 10-Jan-17 22:10:54
Print Post

It's very likely you're signed in to multiple 'services' that track by default, (Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. etc.) if you've ever ticked a box that said 'stay signed in' or words to that effect, then there's the potential cause. The only way to slow down the tracking is to clear all cookies, saved credentials, change the MAC address of your network adapters, change the identifying info in your browser and OS and on the not-so-outside chance that you're being identified by your WiFi MAC and name by your neighbours running some adware / spyware (and that nice project that Google did to map all the streets in the world, just for our convenience). In short, something is reporting your IP address and geolocating you by GPS or the known location of nearby WiFi stations. If I were you, i'd start by learning how to use Wireshark and monitor outbound traffic...
Standard User 10forcash
(regular) Tue 10-Jan-17 22:19:46
Print Post

Just a thought... have you actually looked at the privacy(!) policy? It may be that the site has cookies or other tracking info stored about you and updates the IP to your known location every time you visit...
http://whatismyipaddress.com/privacy-policy

Again, they don't provide 'free' services for nothing - if it's free to you, then you're the product they are selling, mostly to advertisers.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to