General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Sun 15-Jan-17 11:35:50
Print Post

Can your OS affect download speeds?

[link to this post]

I have been trying to help an elderly neighbour who got left out of the shambles of the AIO cabinet migration recently done in our village.

Like everyone else who was and still is on ADSL the performance dropped dramatically after the FTTC was activated.

He has a windows 10 laptop and the connection was almost too slow to do any speed testing so tried my Windows 7 one. We did in the end about a half a dozen tests on each laptop, spread between thinkbroadband and bt wholesale checkers. All the speeds recorded on his laptop were between 0.15Mbps and 0.35Mpbs and on mine between 0.4 and 0.7.

While it is not impossible that on 12 random tests of an erratic service the top 6 would be on one machine I think the probability is so low it can be discounted.

My laptop was connected by wireless and his on most of the tests connected by ethernet, and rather strangely all my results were higher than the line profile of 0.31Mpbs

The only other factor that might influence the results was the upload speed on both devices and all tests was a consistently all most non-existent 0.03Mpbs and I wondered if Windows 10, Microsoft Edge and the other Windows 10 based software were less tolerant of this than Windows 7 and Firefox.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 15-Jan-17 12:16:25
Print Post

Re: Can your OS affect download speeds?

[re: gerarda] [link to this post]

You need to repeat te tests using WIRED for both PCs.

However, I doubt if you will find any significant difference once you do that.

What was his ADSL speed before the change and what does the BT DSL checker say?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Jan-17 12:21:35
Print Post

We report to 0.1 Mbps resolution on the figures, which needs to be bourne in mind. Data stored to full resolution, so graph will show the actual recorded speeds.

30 Kbps upload suggests a problem, and you need to look at the connection speed of the ADSL modem, it may be that it just needs a restart.

Also if person is on the old IPStream Max (ADSL) service and ADSL2+ is available getting them migrated to that or a LLU operator may give better performance.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gerarda
(regular) Sun 15-Jan-17 12:30:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I could not set my laptop to a wired connection as the BT Hub required permission to do so, and the smart set up which apparently you need to allow this was not showing on the hub manager.

But as you say it will have made little difference and certainly it made none when testing on my neighbours device.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jan-17 12:45:41
Print Post

It is troubling, of course, to see you achieving speeds that ought not be possible, given the IP Profile. Assuming, of course, that the IP Profile reflects the actual sync speed ... and that resyncs weren't occurring regularly.

The next doubt would be that the wireless connection wasn't actually to the hub you expected it to be, and was instead connecting elsewhere.

After that, you start to doubt the way the speedtester is measuring, and whether it is affected by anti-virus software. I would step away to manual, command-line testing at that point.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Jan-17 13:06:10
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Without seeing the actual speed tests its hard to say, rounding and bursty wireless can mean you get oddities, particularly on a line that may be seeing errors and re-transmits.

In short without more info i.e. at least a link to a speed test and the actual line stats difficult to say more other than their line is slow.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Sun 15-Jan-17 13:07:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew

I rebooted the BT hub - I presume the modem is internal to that.

I did not want to complicate the story but previously the line was with Talk Talk and he was getting 1Mbps and moving to BT and so away from an LLU service after the AOI cabinet went live last October may account for some of the drop. His contract with BT gives a range of 0.4 -1Mbps with a guaranteed speed of zero.

As an aside you do have to questions the ethics of a company that sells a zero guarantee service to an elderly person although I understand when I put a complaint in about this that zero actually means 256K

He is on ADSL2.
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Sun 15-Jan-17 13:10:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes I have certainly has speed tests in the past which have been higher than the line profile. At very slow speeds I suppose bursts have more impact than at higher speeds.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jan-17 13:11:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by gerarda:
He is on ADSL2.

Do you mean that? As distinct from ADSL2+?
Standard User gerarda
(regular) Sun 15-Jan-17 13:14:59
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I missed the + out . was just meaning to say he is not on ADSL Max
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to