General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-17 14:36:04
Print Post

Plusnet customer awarded £500 compensation in County Court

[link to this post]

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/No-broadband...

A tale of an OpenReach foul-up, Plusnet inefficiency after which Plusnet tried to deny responsibility by blaming OpenReach. As the OP (shermans) posted:
We have made it clear to them that under the law of agency, every first-year law student learns that a master is liable for the acts of his servant and that they cannot wriggle out of liability for Openreach's negligence.
Blow, useless regulators - if more people took action like this perhaps OpenReach might start to improve - accountants always seem to have the biggest influence in companies!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016)
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jan-17 14:49:49
Print Post

Re: Plusnet customer awarded £500 compensation in County Cou

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I've saved that page in case it "disappears"

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Fri 20-Jan-17 16:41:42
Print Post

I've asked the OP for clarification as to whether this ever went to court as the timescales and amount awarded (the claimed £500 + the MCOL fee) suggest that a default judgement was issued either as Plusnet didn't respond or they responded and accepted the claim.

If Plusnet did not respond to the claim, then I hope the OP had the correct legal name for Plusnet and address as it would be very easy for Plusnet to request the judgment to be set aside if he did not (also he wouldn't be able to enforce the claim).

Edited by AndyHCZ (Fri 20-Jan-17 16:42:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Jan-17 17:25:17
Print Post

That's certainly a big eye-opener! So often we hear "Not our fault" from many ISPs, and told there is nothing they can do.

As for the Data Protection Act, again so many businesses are way out of order when citing that as a reason for non-helpfulness.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Mac99
(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-17 18:46:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Absolutely bang on.

Well done the Plusnet customer.

The Data Protection Act is much abused by companies and with what appears to be a fairly lax regulator.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Jan-17 07:23:13
Print Post

[re: Mac99] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mac99:
The Data Protection Act is much abused by companies and with what appears to be a fairly lax regulator.

In this case PN were right. Account in Male name (we assume, as never seen a joint BB acc) call answered by female who gives password. In some lines of business that would be enough to get the account fully locked until account holder responds to prove who they are. As could be possible fraud....

What is odd is that after all the fuss. The poster does not want to leave... Smacks of someone who is simply out to make a few £££ along the way.... The excuse "It's to highlight the issue" is laughable. If that was the case, then the regulator is the way forward. Even though they are toothless...

Here's hoping the poster has never made a mistake in their life... Or they could end up on the wrong side of a court case wink

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 21-Jan-17 08:57:15
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

Yeah it looks like someone who is good with law, but just took advantage of the situation to earn some quick compensation. Fair play.

I expect plusnet didnt bother to defend as it would be wasting money on legal fees.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 21-Jan-17 09:46:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by JohnR:
In this case PN were right. Account in Male name (we assume, as never seen a joint BB acc) call answered by female who gives password. In some lines of business that would be enough to get the account fully locked until account holder responds to prove who they are. As could be possible fraud....
Utter rot.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 21-Jan-17 12:34:31)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Sat 21-Jan-17 09:47:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I wouldn't say it would be a waste of money on legal fees as Plusnet/BT will have their own in-house counsel, so no need to hire an external solicitor.

The version of events also appears to be his interpretation, rather than an objective view.

I would also say that this is someone who is not good with the law for a couple of reasons:

- He initially refers to suing BT Openreach as well as Plusnet, well this wouldn't go far as "BT Openreach" is not a legal entity and he has no service contract with Openreach.
- Then the amount claimed, £500. There is no explanation how he has come up with this amount for being without broadband for 4 days. If there was a hearing, then he would have to explain and give evidence to justify the amount claimed (loss of earnings etc.). Courts in this country very very very rarely award punitive damages, except in very limited cases.
Standard User rscott
(member) Sat 21-Jan-17 12:14:46
Print Post

John Lewis broadband (provided by Plusnet) allow additional authorised contacts on the account, so I assume PN can also do that.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to